Getting record data
The most useful information that you can provide customer support for the vast majority of cases that you raise is record data. Record data is a recording of the data returned during a discovery run structured so that it can be played back on another appliance, such that the appliance behaves as if it were actually scanning the IP addresses. With this, the support engineer should be able to reproduce the errors that you are seeing on a BMC test system.
The following topics describe how an appliance is set to record data:
Setting the appliance to create record data
The appliance must be set to store record data. To do this:
- From the main menu, click the Administration icon. The Administration page displays.From the Discovery section, click Discovery Configuration.
- Scroll down to the Others section and using the Recording Mode drop-down, select Record.
- Click Apply to set the appliance to create record data. The appliance will now create record data for discovery runs until it is taken out of record mode.
Setting the Windows proxy to create record data
For Windows discovery to store record data, the proxy must also be set to record mode. To do this:
- From the main menu, click Manage > Credentials.
- Click Devices.
- Click Windows Proxies.
The Device Credentials page is displayed which contains the Windows proxy pools and the corresponding Windows proxies.
- Click on the Windows proxy name that you want to set to record mode.
The proxy management page is displayed.
- In the Proxy Settings section, using the Recording Mode drop-down, select Record.
- Click Apply Proxy Settings to set the proxy to create record data. The proxy will now create record data for any discovery it performs until it is taken out of record mode.
Performing a discovery run in record mode
All discovery runs performed when the appliance is in record mode create record data. All discoveries using a proxy in record mode create record data. Performing a discovery run when an appliance and proxy are in record mode is done in exactly the same way as "normal" discovery.
Once the appliance, and proxy (for a Windows discovery) have been put into record mode, you must rescan the IP address, addresses, or IP range to create record data.
Once you have performed a discovery run to create the record data, you should set the appliance and proxy back to normal, that is, recording mode Off using the drop-downs described in the previous procedures.
To get record data
Current this does not apply to daas. Recorded data is recorded on the Outpost. There is no UI to access that, but in a support situation when we want record data, we can tell the customer where to find it.
- From the main menu, click the Administration icon. The Administration page displays.
- From the Appliance section, click Appliance Support. The Appliance Support page displays.
- Click Create and the Create Gather page is displayed.
- On the Create Gather page, enter the name of the gather archive you want to create, and a description. It is a good idea to include your Case number in the name.
- Check Record & Pool Data and Session Logs.
- Enter the IP addresses that you scanned in IP Range(s).
- Select the cloud data that you want, if any.
- Select any other desired logs or files (Reasoning and Discovery logs are often helpful to Support).
- Click Create.
- When the archive is created, a row representing it is displayed in the Gathered Data Files section.
- Click the name link to download the data file.
- Send the data file to Customer Support as part of your case.
For more information on Appliance Support page, see Collecting additional data for support cases.