Creating a pattern
You can create a pattern from a pattern template or from CAM, both of which can be accessed from the Knowledge Management page. Additionally, you can create Software Instances (SIs) from discovered processes or services.
You can also use a text editor and then upload the pattern file using the Knowledge Management page.
The following topics are covered in this section:
To create patterns
- From the Knowledge Management page toolbar, click Creating Patterns.
The Create Pattern page opens.
- The Creating Patterns page provides information and links on the ways in which you can create pattern in BMC Discovery. It contains the following sections:
Modeling a software instance
Provides information and links to ways to model bespoke processes or services as SIs.
- Start anywhere application modeling—Using candidate software instances
- Create SIs from discovered processes or services.
Modeling an application
Rather than simply create an SI from a candidate software instances as part of the process. Start Anywhere Application Modeling enables you to model your business applications quickly and easily, simply by selecting the nodes that are part of your application. This approach does not create any application patterns, just SI patterns if required.to go straight to modeling an application. You can create SIs from
To create a pattern using a pattern template
- a table with each row corresponding to a pattern template. For each pattern, the following information or link is displayed:
- Name—Click a pattern name to view the pattern in the View Pattern template window. This window shows a read-only version of the pattern with syntax highlighting where TPL keywords and variables are displayed in colors different from the other text. The Turn Line Numbering On/Turn Line Numbering Off button toggles line numbering and can be used to ease copying and pasting text from one of the templates. A button to close the window is also provided.
- Description—A read-only description of the pattern.
- Options—A download link. Clicking this link enables you to download a copy of the pattern to your local file system.
For pattern testing, you might need to be able to clean up the data your pattern models. For more information, see Destroying data.