Configuring mail settings
Configuring an email server enables BMC Discovery to send email as a result of:
- An alert from Baseline
- A backup or restore of an Appliance or Cluster
- A TPL pattern using Email functions
- From the main menu, click the Administration icon.
The Administration page opens.
In the Appliance section, select Configuration > Mail Settings.
The options on the page are described in the following table.
Select Mail Enabled to enable email delivery from BMC Discovery.
Enter a senders email address from which the email is sent.
SMTP Server Specify the IP address or resolvable name of the SMTP server. SMTP Port Specify the port number on which to contact the SMTP server. Authentication
If the SMTP server requires authentication, select Required in the Authentication section, and then enter the user name and password for the SMTP server.
Specify the type of authentication used by the SMTP server. Select one of:
• Never – if the SMTP server does not require authentication
- Click Apply to save the changes.
- You can use Test email... to verify the settings. Note that any changes need to be applied before doing a test.
If you configure the appliance mail server settings for an invalid mail server, using
mail.send() in a pattern introduces a delay of approximately 3 minutes while the appliance attempts to contact the SMTP server.
You can also send email from the Linux command line. This is intended for situations when you might want to automatically send email using a script. For more information, see Sending email from the Linux command line.