Configuring mail settings
Configuring an email server enables BMC Discovery to send email as a result of:
- An alert from Baseline
- A backup or restore of an Appliance or Cluster
- A TPL pattern using Email functions
To configure mail settings:
- From the main menu, click the Administration icon.
The Administration page opens.
- In the Appliance section, select Configuration > Mail Settings.
- Select Mail Enabled.
- In From Address, enter an email address.
- In SMTP Server, enter the details of the SMTP server.
- In SMTP Port, enter the SMTP port number.
- If the SMTP server requires authentication, select Required in the Authentication section, and then enter the user name and password for the SMTP server.
- Click Apply to save the changes.
- You can use Test email... to verify the settings. Note that any changes need to be applied before doing a test.
If you configure the appliance mail server settings for an invalid mail server, using
mail.send() in a pattern introduces a delay of approximately 3 minutes while the appliance attempts to contact the SMTP server.
You can also send email from the Linux command line. This is intended for situations when you might want to automatically send email using a script. For more information, see Sending email from the Linux command line.