Important information for users of BMC Atrium CMDB
To integrate BMC Discovery with BMC Atrium CMDB, there are some prerequisites, known issues, and limitations that you must be aware of.
Prerequisites for CMDB synchronization
Before you can synchronize data to a supported BMC Atrium CMDB version, you must complete the following required tasks in the given order:
Integrating with earlier versions of BMC Atrium CMDB
BMC Atrium CMDB versions earlier than 7.6.04 are no longer supported and are not recommended for use. Synchronizing data to these earlier versions required you to complete some additional tasks. For more information, see the BMC Discovery 8.3 documentation.
- Create the BMC.ADDM dataset if necessary: Manually create the BMC.ADDM dataset in the CMDB before attempting synchronization.
- Create the Job to merge the BMC.ADDM dataset with BMC.ASSET: Create the job to reconcile the BMC.ADDM dataset with the BMC.ASSET dataset.
- Check the BMC.ADDM dataset configuration: When using ITSM 7.0 with a backward compatibility patch, you must ensure that the BMC.ADDM dataset is trusted.
After completing the preceding tasks, you can start synchronizing BMC Discovery data to BMC Atrium CMDB.
To obtain the maximum synchronization performance when using CMDB synchronization with BMC Discovery version 8.3.00 and later, you should consider tuning the database which BMC Atrium CMDB (or BMC Remedy AR System) is using.
Max-Entries-Per-Query parameter on BMC Remedy AR System server
To prevent BMC Discovery generating duplicate CIs in the BMC.ADDM dataset when running a resynchronization, you must set the BMC Remedy AR System server parameter
Max-Entries-Per-Query to at least 5000.
For more information, see the following documentation corresponding to your product version:
- BMC Remedy AR System 9.1 Performance tuning for Remedy
- BMC Remedy AR System 9.0 Performance tuning for Business Service Management
- BMC Remedy AR System 8.1 Performance tuning for Business Service Management
- BMC Remedy AR System 8.0 Performance tuning for Business Service Management
- BMC Remedy AR System Server 7.6 Performance Tuning for Business Service Management White Paper
The following sections in the White Paper are particularly relevant:
- Tuning an Oracle server.
- Best practices for tuning Oracle database servers.
- Tuning a SQL Server database.
- Best practices for tuning SQL Server database servers.