Important information for users of BMC Atrium CMDB
To integrate BMC Discovery with BMC Atrium CMDB, there are some prerequisites, known issues, and limitations that you must be aware of.
Interaction of BMC Discovery with other BMC data providers
BMC Discovery can co-exist with other BMC data providers. To prevent any potential duplicated Configuration items (CIs) in the BMC Atrium CMDB Asset dataset, BMC recommends the following minimum product versions when using other data providers with BMC Discovery:
- BMC Atrium CMDB: At the time of its release, integration of the current version of BMC Discovery was supported with the following versions of BMC Atrium CMDB:
For more information, check the BMC Solution and Product Availability and Compatibility utility (SPAC) (support login required).
- BMC BladeLogic Server Automation: BMC BladeLogic Server Automation 8.0 SP2. For more details, see the BladeLogic section.
- BMC Performance Manager (BPM) and BMC Performance Assurance (BPA): BMC Performance Manager Portal 2.7.00.040 is recommended. For more details, see the BPM/BPA section.
- BMC BladeLogic Client Automation (BBCA): BMC BladeLogic Client Automation 8.1.01 is recommended. Version 8.1.01 contains the fix of two known issues. For more details, see the BBCA section.
Prerequisites for CMDB synchronization
Before you can synchronize data to a supported BMC Atrium CMDB version, you must complete the following required tasks in the given order:
Integrating with earlier versions of BMC Atrium CMDB
BMC Atrium CMDB versions earlier than 7.6.04 are no longer supported and are not recommended for use. Synchronizing data to these earlier versions required you to complete some additional tasks. For more information, see the BMC Discovery 8.3 documentation.
- Create the BMC.ADDM dataset: Manually create the BMC.ADDM dataset in the CMDB before attempting synchronization.
- Create the Job to merge the BMC.ADDM dataset with BMC.ASSET: Create the job to reconcile the BMC.ADDM dataset with the BMC.ASSET dataset.
- Check the BMC.ADDM dataset configuration: When using ITSM 7.0 with a backward compatibility patch, you must ensure that the BMC.ADDM dataset is trusted.
After completing the preceding tasks, you can start synchronizing BMC Discovery data to BMC Atrium CMDB.
To obtain the maximum synchronization performance when using CMDB synchronization with BMC Discovery version 8.3.00 and later, you should consider tuning the database which BMC Atrium CMDB (or BMC Remedy AR System) is using.
Max-Entries-Per-Query parameter on BMC Remedy AR System server
To prevent BMC Discovery generating duplicate CIs in the BMC.ADDM dataset when running a resynchronization, you must set the BMC Remedy AR System server parameter
Max-Entries-Per-Query to at least 5000.
For more information, see the following documentation corresponding to your product version:
- BMC Remedy AR System 8.1 Performance tuning for Business Service Management
- BMC Remedy AR System 8.0 Performance tuning for Business Service Management
- BMC Remedy AR System Server 7.6 Performance Tuning for Business Service Management White Paper
The following sections in the White Paper are particularly relevant:
- Tuning an Oracle server.
- Best practices for tuning Oracle database servers.
- Tuning a SQL Server database.
- Best practices for tuning SQL Server database servers.
Co-existence with other data providers
The following issues exist in the corresponding BMC product that can lead to duplicate CIs in the BMC Atrium CMDB ASSET dataset when reconciling with BMC Discovery:
Fixes which are available as hot fixes will be rolled into future patches. BMC recommends you to see the latest patch release notes for the defect number to see if the hot fix is already included.