Viewing the system taxonomy
The system taxonomy defines all kinds of data objects in the system and the relationships between them. The BMC Atrium Discovery Administrator can examine all of these objects, including their attributes, roles and relationships.
None of this information can be changed from the BMC Atrium Discovery user interface.
Viewing the system taxonomy
- Click Administration, and then click View Taxonomy.
All base taxonomy objects are listed, along with the following information:
- Object Name — the name of the object kind. The superclass of this object is displayed in brackets as a hyperlink.
- Description — a description of this object type.
- Subclasses — subclasses of this object type.
- Attributes — attributes of this object type.
- Known relationships — known relationships for this object. The object to which this relationship refers is displayed as a hyperlink at the end of the relationship name.
You can download the base taxonomy in XML format. To do this, right-click the appropriate link and select Save Target As....
The Files tab shows the taxonomy files that are installed on the appliance.Further details of the data model can be found in the BMC Atrium Discovery taxonomy. To view the taxonomy on the BMC Atrium Discovery UI, from the Administration tab, click View Taxonomy. A link to the current, full-size version of the diagrams below is also available in the online documentation.
The relationships displayed in the taxonomy are not exhaustive. That is, all possible relationships are not displayed in the taxonomy.
For example, the following containment relationships are valid:
The following diagrams show the BMC Atrium Discovery Default Data Model with its different nodes, attributes and relationships between different parts of BMC Atrium Discovery. It is split across the following diagrams:
- Main Diagram—contains all the core entities used in the modeling and discovery of hosts.
- Network and Printer Diagram—contains entities used in the modeling and discovery of network devices and printers.
- Mainframe Diagram—contains entities used in the modeling and discovery of mainframe computers.
- Storage and Load Balancers—contains entities used in the modeling and discovery of storage entities and load balancers.
It is important to note that the model itself is not in separate sections, the separate diagrams exist in order to more clearly convey information.
Network and Printer
|Storage and Load Balancers|
- Inferred nodes and connection links—Blue.
- DDD nodes and connection links—Green.
- Knowledge (Pattern Management) nodes and connection links—Pink.
- Provenance Relationship connection links—Red.
- Auxiliary nodes and connection links—Brown (used internally by BMC Atrium Discovery).
The PNG images are static and represent the latest taxonomy. They do not reflect any on-site changes that might have been made to the taxonomy on your appliance.
Storage and modification of the taxonomy
Taxonomy definitions are configured using xml files which are held in the following directories:
The directories are parsed in the order given (installed before custom), and the files contained in these directories are parsed in alphabetical order, with numbers before letters. This order is important as later definitions for the taxonomy override those loaded earlier.
The standard base taxonomy file is contained in
To add additional details to a node, we recommend using a detail node rather than extending the taxonomy. For more information, see Detail node.