During discovery, the BMC Atrium Discovery system attempts to access host systems to obtain details of processes running. Credentials including IDs and passwords, and credential-like entities (Windows proxies and SNMP credentials) for different access methods, can be stored on the system to allow the required level of access. You can set up the following:
- The login credentials (user IDs and passwords) for interactive log-in to different host systems.
- The Windows proxies used to discover Windows systems.
- The SNMP credentials used on particular host systems.
SNMP queries are only tried if an attempted login fails and if the SNMP port (UDP 161) is open on the target host.
- The vCenter credentials used to discover VMware ESX and ESXi hosts by querying the vCenter server, including the management system vCenter credentials that are used to log into the vCenter. This view of the vCenter credentials is populated when patterns containing vCenter queries are activated.
- The vSphere credentials used to discover VMware ESX and ESXi hosts, including the management system vSphere credentials that are used to log into the vSphere API. This view of the vSphere credentials is populated when patterns containing vSphere queries are activated.
- The WBEM credentials used to discover storage systems managed using WBEM.
- The used to log into databases and query their content. credentials
- The Middleware credentials used to query middleware such as web and application servers.
- The Mainframe credentials used to discover mainframe computers.
- You can also run and view the progress of Device Credential Tests, as well as see the credentials that match the specific IP address or IP address range.
About credential storage
BMC Atrium Discovery stores all passwords in a secure credential vault. Secure credential vaults are generated using public and private key pair when the appliance is commissioned. The contents of the vault is encrypted, and can be secured using a passphrase.
User accounts on the target system
When creating a user account (the account that BMC Atrium Discovery logs into to discover a host) on a target host, you should ensure that the full path to the shell is entered in the user's profile. If you do not do this, the credentials will be considered invalid.
BMC Atrium Discovery is tested to work with Bourne and Bourne-compatible shells. Support for other shells such as the Korn shell is best effort only. The product has been sporadically tested and might work but with known issues and we might not fix bugs that affect these shells.