Changing log levels at runtime
For each service that you have running in BMC Atrium Discovery, you can dynamically change the log level without having to restart the appliance.
To change log levels
- Click the Administration tab from the primary navigation bar across the top of the page.
The Administration home page is displayed. For a full description, see the Administration Page.
- Click the Logs icon in the Appliance section.
The Logs page is displayed showing the Log Files tab.
- Click the Logging Levels tab.
Each of the available service settings has a drop-down menu which enables you to change the log level for that setting without having to restart the appliance. The current logging level for each setting is also displayed for reference purposes.
The following log levels are available for selection:
- Debug — Specifies fine-grained informational events that are most useful to debug the application.
- Info — Specifies informational messages that highlight the progress of the application at coarse-grained level.
- Warning — Specifies potentially harmful situations.
- Error — Specifies error events that might still allow the application to continue running.
- Critical — Specifies severe error events that might cause the application to abort.
The log levels are cumulative in the order they are displayed in the drop-down. Therefore, the Debug log level includes everything including debug messages, Info includes everything up to and including the Info level, and so forth.
If you change the log levels on this page, the levels will persist. In other words, the next time that you restart the appliance the log level settings that you have selected will remain.
When you change one or more of the log levels from the drop-down menu against any setting, click Apply. A message is displayed informing you that the change you have made has been successful. This message will continue to be displayed until you select another page in BMC Atrium Discovery and return to the Logging window. The Apply button is not enabled until you have changed one or more of the log levels.
Potential performance impact of Debug log level
If you select Debug for any setting a pop-up warning is displayed asking you to confirm your selection. This is because the Debug log level can impact the performance of the system.