Navigating BMC Atrium Discovery pages
BMC Atrium Discovery uses a web-based thin client interface. No software is installed on a user's workstations.
BMC recommends that you use Firefox 3 and above or Internet Explorer 7.0 and above with this version of BMC Atrium Discovery.
See Supported browsers for more detailed information.
You should use a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768.
Page layout of user interface
Your view of the user interface and the options that you can access are dependent on your access privileges. Your access privileges are defined by the user groups that you are a member of. See your BMC Atrium Discovery Administrator for details of your privileges.
A typical BMC Atrium Discovery page contains the following major sections:
- Version number and search bar
- Primary navigation bar
- Dynamic secondary navigation bar
- Dynamic toolbox
- Actions, reports, and visualizations
These major sections are described in the following sections.
Version number and search bar
The BMC Atrium Discovery version number is shown at the top-left of the screen and the search box is displayed at the top-right of each page:
Icons that display a menu when clicked have a down arrow in the bottom corner. Click the Search Options icon to display the Search dialog where you can tailor your searches, as illustrated in the following screen.
The search options menu enables you to search the database for a keyword. To close this menu, click on the Search Options icon again or alternatively, click the Close button in the top-right corner of the menu. For more information on the available search options in BMC Atrium Discovery, see Searching for data.
Primary navigation bar
The primary navigation bar enables you to access the main functional areas of BMC Atrium Discovery.
The primary navigation bar contains the following major tabs:
- Home: Returns you to your home page. See Using the home page for more information.
- Applications: Enables you to view, search and set up your organization's supported applications that have been modeled from a business perspective. This includes imported or created data about applications supplemented by additional logical information such as business location and ownership information. See Managing your business applications.
- Infrastructure: Enables you to view, search and set up your IT infrastructure: the basic hardware (host computers) and Software Instances (running programs) in your organization. This information is normally discovered by BMC Atrium Discovery from your environment but it can also be imported information. See Managing your IT infrastructure.
- Discovery: Enables you to view, search, set up and amend your Discovery status. You can also manage your credentials, patterns and Discovery reports from this tab. For a full description of the Discovery tab, see Chapter 6 of the BMC Atrium Discovery Configuration Guide.
- Reports: Enables you to run a number of reports on the data in your system. See Managing reporting.
- Administration: Enables you to view, search, set up and amend your configuration and management options; many of which are restricted to users with Admin access rights. See Navigating the administration interface.
Dynamic secondary navigation bar
The dynamic secondary navigation bar is populated with a number of different buttons depending on the tab displayed in the primary navigation bar. The default view for the primary navigation bar tab can also be accessed by clicking the button to the far left on the secondary navigation bar.
For example, when you click the Discovery tab on the primary navigation bar, the following buttons are displayed:
For this example, the dynamic secondary navigation bar contains the following major tabs:
- Discovery Status: Displays the Discovery Status page. This is the default view.
- Credentials: Displays the Login Credentials page where you can configure the login credentials for discovery targets.
- Pattern Management: Displays the Pattern Management page where you can upload, download, activate and deactivate patterns.
- Integration Points: Displays the Integration Points page where you can manage connections and queries to databases.
- Discovery Reports: Displays the Discovery Reports page where you can view and control the discovery process, view Directly Discovered Data, and report on Discovery Accesses.
A dynamically populated toolbox is located below the primary navigation bar.
By default, the dynamic toolbox contains the following icons from left to right:
- Available Dashboards: Displays a drop-down list showing the dashboards that are available. See Dashboards for more information.
- Groups: Displays the Groups drop-down so that you can manage host groups. See Manual grouping for more information.
- General Preferences: Displays the general user preferences page.
- Application Preferences: Displays the application preferences page.
- Change Password: Displays the change password page. For details, see Changing Your password.
Icons that show a menu when clicked have a down arrow in the bottom-right corner. Click the User icon to display the dialog.
- Appliance Status: Displays the appliance status page.
Click the Appliance Status icon to show the dialog box.
To configure the Appliance Status, see Appliance status.
- Recent Items: Displays the Recent Items list.
Click the Recent Items icon to show the dialog box.
The recent items menu lists your ten most-recently accessed pages, enabling you to navigate back to them easily. This list is retained between sessions. Click Clear to clear the list. When items are deleted from the system, they are not removed from the recent items list.
- Documentation: Displays the contents page of the BMC Atrium Discovery user documentation available in this release. See User documentation.
- Support & Community: Displays the Community page of the Tideway website. From here you can contact Customer Support or access the current BMC Atrium Discovery online documentation and other information about the company.
- About: Displays information about this version of BMC Atrium Discovery.
Click the Help icon to display the dialog box.
The Dynamic toolbox also contains icons which are displayed on other nodes, such as when you are viewing the details of a host. The following icons are provided:
- Attachments: Lists the attachments attached to this node and enables you to manage them. For details, see Managing attachments.
Click the Attachments icon to display the dialog box.
- Discovery Session Logs: Displays a list of Discovery session logs. This is only available for host nodes.
Click the Discovery Session Logs icon to display the dialog box.
Select a session log from the list and click the link. For more information about Discovery Session Logs, see Appendix A in the BMC Atrium Discovery Configuration Guide.
The Session Logs icon is not available, or has been disabled, if there are no logs associated with the host you have selected.
- Additional Links: Lists any external links associated with this node. For example, the drop-down dialog below provides links to different search engines which may provide further useful information about this node.
Click the Attachments icon to show the drop-down dialog.
For information about configuring external links, see Configuring additional links.
Actions reports and visualizations
A cluster of drop down menus is provided on node or node lists. These are Actions, Reports, and Visualizations.
The Actions drop down menu is dynamic and changes depending on the page on which it is displayed. On a
Host List page, the Actions drop down menu has the following options:
- Only show selected: Filters the list to only show those nodes that are selected.
- Export as CSV: Exports the selected nodes as CSV files.
- Scan: Performs a snapshot scan of the selected nodes.
- Create Host Profiles: Creates Host Profiles of the selected nodes.
- Manual Groups: Opens the manual grouping menu.
- Destroy: Destroys the selected nodes.
The Reports drop down menu is dynamic and changes depending on the page on which it is displayed. The Reports drop down contains a list of reports which may be run for ALL items in the list (which may be on multiple pages), or the selected items.
- To run a report for all items in a list page, ensure that no items are selected by clicking the None selection option on the left side of the page. Then from the Reports menu, select the report that you want to run.
- To run a report for the selected items in a list page, select the report from the Reports menu.
The Visualizations menu is dynamic and changes depending on the page on which it is displayed. The Visualizations menu contains a list of reports which may be run for ALL items in the list (which may be on multiple pages), or the selected items.
- To run a visualization for all items in a list page, ensure that no items are selected by clicking the None selection option on the left hand side of the page. Then from the Visualizations drop down, select the visualization that you want to run.
- To run a visualization for the selected items in a list page, select the report from the Visualization menu.
Tips for navigating the user interface
- Choose one of the major tabs on the Primary Navigation Bar to access one of the main sections of BMC Atrium Discovery (Applications section, Infrastructure section, Discovery section, Reports section, Change section, or Administration section).
- The top-level page for each section displays a summary of the objects in that section.
- To search the system, use the Search option in the Version Number and Search Bar. For more information, see Version Number and Search Bar and Searching for data.
- Most reports available appear in the Reports section. You can also run some of the most common reports from the BMC Atrium Discovery Home Page and from the top-level page of the Applications and Infrastructure sections. There are also context-sensitive reports available for some individual nodes.
- When you run a search or a report, items that meet your criteria are listed in the main display window.
- Items that appear as a highlighted hyperlink on any screen indicate objects in the database that you can view in detail. Click any of these to display the relevant detail page. See Using View Object pages.
- A progress bar can be set up to appear while navigating between different screens. The progress bar will only appear after the number of seconds that you specify. See Setting Your Application Preferences.