Getting record data
The most useful information that you can provide customer support for the vast majority of cases that you raise is record data. Record data is a recording of the data returned during a discovery run structured so that it can be played back on another appliance, such that the appliance behaves as if it were actually scanning the IP addresses. With this, the support engineer should be able to reproduce the errors that you are seeing on a BMC test appliance.
Setting the appliance to create record data
The appliance must be set to store record data. To do this:
- On the Administration tab, click Discovery Configuration in the Discovery section.
The Discovery Configuration page is displayed.
- Scroll down to the Others section and using the Recording Mode drop-down, select Record.
- Click Apply to set the appliance to create record data. The appliance will now create record data for discovery runs until it is taken out of record mode.
Setting the Windows proxy to create record data
For Windows discovery to store record data, the proxy must also be set to record mode. To do this:
- From the secondary navigation bar on the Discovery tab, click Credentials.
- Click Devices.
- Click Windows Proxies.
The Device Credentials page is displayed which contains the Windows proxy pools and the corresponding Windows proxies.
- Click on the Windows proxy name that you want to set to record mode.
The proxy management page is displayed.
- Click Apply Proxy Settings to set the proxy to create record data. The proxy will now create record data for any discovery it performs until it is taken out of record mode.
Performing a discovery run in record mode
All discovery runs performed when the appliance is in record mode create record data. All discoveries using a proxy in record mode create record data. Performing a discovery run when an appliance and proxy are in record mode is done in exactly the same way as "normal" discovery.
Once the appliance, and proxy (for a Windows discovery) have been put into record mode, you must rescan the IP address, addresses, or IP range to create record data.
Once you have performed a discovery run to create the record data, you should set the appliance and proxy back to normal, that is, recording mode Off using the drop-downs described in the previous procedures.
To get record data
- On the Administration tab, click Appliance Support in the Appliance section.
The Appliance Support page is displayed.
- In the Target Host Data section of the Appliance Support page, enter the IP address, addresses, or range of addresses into the IP Range(s) field.
- Select Record data.
- In the Create Archive Section enter a name for the archive and a description.
- Click Gather to create the archive.
When the archive is created, a row representing it is displayed in the Gathered Data Files section.
- Click the name link to download the data file.
- Send the data file to Customer Support as part of your case.
The Appliance Support page is described more fully here.