Quick start for BMC Digital Workplace administrators
BMC recommends that you first implement the Catalog and then implement additional functionality.
This topic is intended for IT managers and administrators who are responsible for rolling out BMC Digital Workplace or BMC Helix Digital Workplace to their organization. This topic can help you get started, whether you are currently using BMC Service Request Management or are new to self-service.
Basic concepts for BMC Digital Workplace administrators
As you get started, be aware of the following concepts:
- Catalog—The Catalog provides an intuitive experience for browsing and searching for service requests, knowledge articles, and additional items. If you are currently using BMC Service Request Management, you can use your existing service requests and knowledge articles to create an experience that is familiar to your self-service users. Otherwise, you can start with the service requests that are included in the starter kit. Knowledge articles are not included in the starter kit; you can create knowledge articles by using BMC Remedy with Smart IT or BMC Knowledge Management.
- Approvals—Managers can approve and reject business requests within the BMC Digital Workplace.
- Notifications—Notifications alert business users when their requests need attention, for example, if an IT staff member asks a question that requires a reply. Notifications also alert managers when a request is waiting for their approval.
Process overview for BMC Digital Workplace administrators
The following diagram illustrates the process for implementing BMC Digital Workplace:
When you expand your implementation of BMC Digital Workplace, you might choose one of the following options:
- Expand your Catalog by integrating with other products. For example, with BMC Helix Business Workflows, you can add HR requests and knowledge articles into your Catalog.
- Start to use the following capabilities in BMC Digital Workplace Advanced:
- With BMC Digital Workplace Catalog, you can bring external offerings into your Catalog and enhance the Catalog with a shopping cart experience.
- Leverage the location-aware self-service capabilities by adding locations and assets.
Starting configuration for BMC Digital Workplace
The following example for starting BMC Digital Workplace configuration is a step up from the Requester Console in BMC Service Request Management. In BMC Digital Workplace, you can easily browse and search the Catalog. Business users also get the additional benefits of using their mobile devices and scheduling appointments with the help desk. The simplicity of this configuration makes it easy for self-service users to get started. A new installation of BMC Digital Workplace includes a starter kit that populates your Catalog with popular requests.
How BMC Digital Workplace looks with an example configuration applied