ITSM notifications overwritten during Smart IT upgrade
This flash describes an issue where some BMC Remedy ITSM notifications are overwritten by BMC Remedy with Smart IT notifications during an upgrade of Smart IT. This issue only affects customers who plan to install or upgrade Smart IT, or BMC MyIT and Smart IT together.
You must obtain the refreshed User Experience Patch for Smart IT 1.5 (BMC MyIT 3.2) before starting the upgrade process, as explained in this topic. Otherwise, ITSM notifications will be overwritten and replaced by Smart IT notifications.
The workaround instructions in this topic apply to Smart IT 1.5 and BMC MyIT 3.2. For previous versions, use the workaround instructions in the Smart IT 1.4 Flash document.
Issue description and affected versions
When Smart IT versions 1.0.x and 1.1 (BMC MyIT versions 2.1, 2.2, and 2.5) were released, there was a limitation where BMC Remedy ITSM notifications were replaced by Smart IT notifications. This limitation continued in Smart IT 1.2 (BMC MyIT 2.6) when additional change management and approval notifications were added to the product.
Starting in Smart IT 1.3 (BMC MyIT 3.0), a configuration option was introduced that allows customers to continue using ITSM notifications instead of replacing them with Smart IT notifications. This option is especially useful to customers that have customized their ITSM notifications, and want to continue using these ITSM notifications after Smart IT is installed.
An issue was discovered where some of the ITSM change and approval notifications are replaced by the Smart IT notifications that were introduced in Smart 1.2 (BMC MyIT 2.6). This issue was corrected in Smart IT 1.3.01 (BMC MyIT 3.0.01), but continues to affect the following versions:
- Fresh installations of Smart IT 1.2 and 1.3 (BMC MyIT 2.6 and 3.0)
- Smart IT (BMC MyIT) upgrades as shown in the following table:
|1.2 (2.6)||1.3 (3.0)||1.3.01 (3.0.01)||1.4 (3.1)||1.5 (3.2)|
Workaround to prevent overwriting ITSM notifications during an upgrade
- Before starting the Smart IT upgrade, log on to the BMC Remedy ITSM mid-tier client as an administrator.
- In the browser address bar, modify the URL to open the SYS:Notification Messages_Staging form.
- Perform an advanced search with the following qualification:
'Message Source' = $NULL$
- Delete all of the entries returned from the advanced search.
- Follow all of the steps in Upgrading to complete the Smart IT upgrade.