Downloading the Smart IT and BMC My IT installation files
This topic explains how to obtain the files that you need for installation from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) site. It also explains how to verify the downloaded files against corruption errors by using MD5 checksums provided by BMC.
The BMC Remedy with Smart IT and BMC MyIT installation program includes the latest service packs and patches. If you are installing the product for the first time, you do not need to apply service packs or patches before you begin using the product. When new service packs and patches are released for Smart IT and MyIT, you will perform an upgrade of the product to apply the latest changes.
The installation program for the latest service pack or patch also includes the full installation of the product. To install the product for the first time or apply product updates, select the Product Patches tab and download the latest service pack or patch.
To download the files
Create a directory in which to place the downloaded files.
On Microsoft Windows computers, ensure that the directory is only one level into the directory structure. The EPD package creates a directory in the temporary directory when you extract the files, and the directory that contains the installation image must not be in a directory deeper than two levels into the directory structure.
- Go to http://www.bmc.com/available/epd.html.
- At the logon prompt, enter your user ID and password, and click Submit.
- On the Export Compliance and Access Terms page, provide the required information, accept the terms of the agreements, and click Continue.
- If you are accessing this site for the first time, create an EPD profile to specify the languages and platforms that you want to see, per the EPD site help; otherwise, skip to step 6.
- Verify that the correct profile is displayed for your download purpose, and select the Licensed Products tab.
- Select BMC Remedy with Smart IT or BMC MyIT from the list of available products.
- With all products selected, enter Smart IT or MyIT in the filter field, and click Go.
- From the results, click BMC Remedy with Smart IT (or BMC MyIT).
- From the Version menu and the Platform menu, select the version and the platform for which you want to download files.
- Click any of the following tabs:
Products—Displays the product files and supplementary related files available for download:
BMC Remedy with Smart IT - Version V.v.00 installer to download SmartIT_version.windows.zip or SmartIT_version.linux.tar.gz.
BMC MyIT - Version V.v.00 installer to download MyIT_version.windows.zip or MyIT_version.linux.tar.gz
User Experience Version V.v.00 Patch for ITSM to download the UserExperiencePatchversion.windows.zip or UserExperiencePatchversion.platform.tar.gz file.
- Patches—Displays the patch and service pack files available for download.
- License Information—Displays the files related to licenses.
- Documentation—Displays the Online Technical Documentation Portal links and the offline zip files of the documentation available for download.
- Select the check boxes next to the files and documents that you want to download.
- Click one of the following options:
- Download (FTP) — Places the selected items in an FTP directory, and the credentials and FTP instructions are sent to you in an email message.
- Download Manager — Enables you to download multiple files consecutively and to resume an interrupted download if the connection drops.
This method requires a one-time installation of the Akamai NetSession client program on the target computer and is usually the faster and more reliable way to transfer files. A checksum operation is used to verify file integrity automatically.
To verify the files
Locate the files you downloaded and verify the MD5 checksum results before installation.
You can use any MD5 checksum tool to verify the checksum results.
The User Experience Patch installer for Smart IT 1.5 and BMC MyIT 3.2 was refreshed to correct an upgrade issue, as explained in ITSM notifications overwritten during Smart IT upgrade. The version number in the download file name was incremented from 1.5.00 to 1.5.00.001 to reflect this change.
|File name||MD5 checksum|