Deploying BMC MyIT to your users
Use any of the following methods to deploy the BMC MyIT application to your users:
- Make the mobile BMC MyIT application available through a URL on your intranet (as described in this topic).
- Place the application in your enterprise App Store.
- Push the application through your mobile device management platform, using either BMC Mobile Device Management or your preferred tool.
- Announce the URL to the universal client:
To rebrand the BMC MyIT application, see the following topics:
When you upgrade BMC MyIT, rebranding changes do not persist. Before you upgrade, create a backup so that you can restore your changes after the upgrade.
If you need assistance with rebranding the application, contact BMC Support, or contact your account team.
The Android mobile client can be rebranded only with the assistance of BMC Professional Services.
Making the mobile BMC MyIT application available through a URL
After you install BMC MyIT, users can download mobile clients for Google Android and Apple iOS devices through the following web address:
https://MyITServerName:port/download/myit - Replace MyITServerName:port with the web address for your BMC MyIT server.
If the BMC MyIT server is not configured with HTTPS and a valid CA certificate, you can use any valid HTTPS server to host the files. This is a requirement from Apple for any iOS native app.
The Android mobile client is 32-bit, and can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit Android devices.
Additional steps for the Apple iOS client for BMC MyIT
- Even if you are not rebranding the mobile client, you must follow the instructions in Re-signing and rebranding BMC MyIT for Apple iOS to re-sign the client.
- Before users can download the BMC MyIT iOS client, you must update the BMC MyIT server location in the MyIT.plist and index.html files as follows:
Open the download folder in the application installation directory.
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Smart_IT_MyIT\download
Edit the MyIT.plist file to replace the [HOSTNAME] and [PORT] entries with settings specific to your installation:
<!-- Replace [HOSTNAME] here with real host name accessible from outside 9000 is one configured at Tomcat dir/conf/server.xml --> <string>https://[HOSTNAME]:[PORT]/download/MyIT.ipa</string>
Edit the index.html file to replace the [HOSTNAME] and [PORT] entries with settings specific to your installation. (9080 is the default port, but you can change this port number.)
<!-- Replace [HOSTNAME] here with real host name accessible from outside 9080 is one configured at Tomcat dir/conf/server.xml --> <li><a href="itms-services://?action=download-manifest&url=https://[HOSTNAME]:9080/download/myit/MyIT.plist">MyIT IPA</a></li>
Users can now download the Apple iOS client for BMC MyIT to an iPhone or iPad by using a mobile browser on their device. The Apple App Store is not involved in the process.