Updating the attachment settings for service requests
As the BMC Digital Workplace administrator, you can update the attachment size limits and file types that are allowed or blocked in the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console. End users can upload attachments in the following ways:
- By using the Comments section in the service requests.
By using the option to add attachments in the HRCM and SRM service requests details.
Before you begin
On the first login to BMC Digital Workplace, you can leave the default attachment settings or update them.
If you leave the default attachment settings, BMC Digital Workplace will use the blacklist that includes the following attachment file types:
ade,adp,app,application,asp,bas,bat,cer,cgi,chm,cmd,com,cpl,crt,csh,csr,dev,dll,drv,exe,fxp,gadget,go,hlp,hta,htaccess,htm,html,htpasswd,inf,ins,isp,jar,js,jse,jsp,ksh,nk,mdb,mde,mdt,mdw,msc,msh1,msh1xml,msh2,msh2xml,mshxml,msi,msp, mst,ocx,ops,pcd,pcx,php,php2,php3,php4,php5,phps,pht,phtm,phtml,pif,pl,prg,ps1,ps,1xml,ps2,ps2xml,psc1,psc2,py,pyc,rar,rb,reg,scf,scr,sct,sh,shb,shs,shtml,svg,swf,sys,tcl,torrent,url,vb,vbe,vbs,vbscript,vbx,vxd,xhtm,xhtml,xml,wmf,ws, wsc,wsf,wsh,wss,zip.
To update the attachment settings for service requests
- In the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console, navigate to the Configuration tab.
- In the left pane, click Attachment Rules.
- Update the attachment settings:
a) File type rules—select one of the following rules:
- No restrictions—select this rule if you want end users to be able to upload all attachment file types.
Blacklist—select this rule to specify the list of unsupported file types. This is not a required field. If you leave this field empty, the No restrictions file type rule is applied.
Whitelist—select this rule to specify the list of supported file types. This is a required field that cannot be empty.
End users can see the list of supported attachment file types.
- b) File upload size—specify the maximum attachment size that end users can upload. BMC Digital Workplace allows the maximum file size of 5 MB.
1 MB = 1024 KB.
4. Click Save.
When requesting a service with an attachment in BMC Digital Workplace, the end users can see the following message: Maximum file size: 5.00 MB. Maximum file count: 3.
The attachment settings are saved only for one rule you select.
5. (Optional) If you want to restore the default attachment settings, click Reset to default > Save.
The attachment settings are reset to the Blacklist with default file extensions and size.
How the attachment settings work for multitenancy
Each of the BMC Digital Workplace tenants can have different attachment settings. BMC Digital Workplace Catalog tenants have the attachment settings configured for the master tenant and cannot be changed.