Installing components for hybrid deployment
Hybrid deployment refers to using BMC Digital Workplace in the cloud together with your BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) server on premises. Optionally, you can install BMC Remedy with Smart IT (Smart IT) on premises. BMC uses the BMC Client Gateway (which uses Kaazing) and server to enable bidirectional communication between the BMC cloud and your on-premises server.
Before you begin
You must have BMC Remedy ITSM installed on premises. The system requirements indicates which version of BMC Remedy ITSM is compatible with the current version of BMC Digital Workplace. Instructions for installing BMC Remedy ITSM are available in the documentation. The BMC SaaS Operations team must provide you with the server and port to which you will connect your BMC Client Gateway.
Make sure that you have a Windows or Linux server with the following requirements to act as your BMC Client Gateway:
|Memory||4 GB or greater|
Any of the following options:
|Java||Version 8 or later, 64 bit|
To install and configure the BMC Client Gateway
- Download the gateway from .
- Unzip the gateway archive.
- Open Path\Gateway\conf\gateway-config.xml in a text editor, and change the values for gateway.hostname and gateway.port to the end point indicated by the BMC SaaS Operations team.
- Start BMC Client Gateway by running Path\bin\gateway.start.
- Check the log files in Path\Gateway\log for error messages.
After you install and configure the BMC Client Gateway, let the BMC SaaS Operations team know that the gateway is configured. The BMC SaaS Operations team configures cloud components and verifies the connection.
To verify hybrid deployment configuration
After the BMC SaaS Operations team completes their configuration, you can perform the following steps to verify the hybrid configuration:
- Log in to the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console.
- Add a service request to the Catalog, as described in Setting up sections in the Catalog.
- Select a service request from your BMC Remedy ITSM server.
- Log in to the BMC Digital Workplace end user console.
- Request an item from the Catalog.
If any of the steps in this procedure are not successful, work with the BMC SaaS Operations team to troubleshoot the issue. You might need to adjust the configuration of the BMC Client Gateway, or the operations team might need to adjust their configuration.
Check the log files in Path\Gateway\log for error messages.
Where to go from here
If you have not yet planned your configuration, complete the Planning worksheets.
If you have planned your configuration, complete your configuration, as described in Configuring after installation of BMC Digital Workplace.