Installing the ITSM integration patch
Before you install BMC Digital Workplace, you must install the ITSM Integration patch on your BMC Remedy ITSM server. This patch enables BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) to work with BMC Digital Workplace. The installation applies to required BMC Remedy ITSM patches.
BMC Remedy ITSM upgrades and patches will overwrite the ITSM Integration patch changes. If you install BMC Digital Workplace for a supported BMC Remedy ITSM and later upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM to a new version or apply a service pack or patch, you must reinstall the ITSM Integration patch for BMC Digital Workplace to perform correctly.
Before you begin
If you have installed BMC Remedy ITSM 18.08 Patch 1 or later, and also installed the Remedy ITSM Version 18.08.00 Patch 001 Deployment Management Package for BMC Digital Workplace 18.11.00 patch, you do not need to download and install the BMC Digital Workplace ITSM Integration Patch Version 18.05.00 patch from the BMC Digital Workplace installation files.
The Remedy ITSM Version 18.08.00 Patch 001 Deployment Management Package for BMC Digital Workplace 18.11.00 patch will work with BMC Digital Workplace for all versions between 18.11.00 and 19.05.00.
Ensure that you have the following applications installed (minimum requirements):
BMC Remedy Action Request System (BMC Remedy AR System)
BMC Remedy ITSM
BMC Service Request Management (if your implementation includes BMC Service Request Management)
- Ensure that the BMC Remedy AR System server is running Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 8 or 11, or OpenJDK version 11 installed with the JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to the JRE path; for example, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8. Otherwise, the patch will not install correctly.
- If you are installing the ITSM Integration patch as a non-root user, make sure that your system administrator has completed the requirements described in Requirements for a non-root user to run the installer.
- Back up your database and environment.
- Find your completed Installation worksheets for Digital Workplace, so that you know the server on which BMC Digital Workplace will be installed and what port it will use.
Running the patch installer from any server other than the BMC Remedy ITSM server is not supported.
To install the patch in an AR System server group, run the ITSM Integration patch installer only on the Admin server of the AR System server group environment.
To install the ITSM Integration patch
- On the BMC Remedy AR System and BMC Remedy ITSM server machine, download the installation files from http://www.bmc.com/available/epd.html: DigitalWorkplaceITSMIntegrationPatchversion.windows.zip or DigitalWorkplaceITSMIntegrationPatchversion.Linux.tar.gz.
After decompressing the ITSM Integration patch files, run the setup.exe or setup.bin file.
Complete the steps in the installation process by using the information that you collected on the installation worksheet.
Review the installation summary, and click Install.
If you have recently installed or upgraded BMC Remedy ITSM suite, the installation of ITSM Integration patch might display the following message:
"Reindexing in progress. Please wait until the reindexing is finished on this AR."
Re-indexing may take from hours to days depending on your data. To check whether re-indexing is in progress, go to AR System Server Information > FTS tab. The Reindex check box is disabled if re-indexing is in progress and a message is displayed. Wait until the re-indexing is complete, and then install the ITSM Integration patch.
Sometimes, re-indexing may be stuck. Go to <BMC Software\ARSystem\ftsconfiguration\collection> and verify whether the generated index files are getting updated with the latest time stamp. A considerable difference in the current time and the latest timestamp implies FTS re-indexing is stuck. You need to re-index your data. Before re-indexing, delete the entries in the ft_pending table in the database.
Where to go from here
If you are performing a fresh installation, verify whether you have any tasks remaining to prepare for installation.
If you are performing an upgrade, verify whether you have any tasks remaining to prepare for upgrade.