Reviewing active users
Although BMC Digital Workplace does not check for license usage, you can use the following methods to view the number of users logging in BMC Digital Workplace:
- BMC Digital Workplace Active User Report—a web report displaying the number of users who logged in to BMC Digital Workplace during a specified period of time.
- REST API call—opening the API endpoint while authenticated as a BMC Digital Workplace administrator.
To check license usage, use the BMC License Collection Utility. For more information about those reports, see in the BMC License Collection Utility online documentation.
The following video shows an older version of BMC Digital Workplace. The previous product name was MyIT. Although there might be minor changes in the UI, the overall functionality remains the same.
This video (5:27) demonstrates the three methods for monitoring active users:
Overview of the BMC Digital Workplace Active User Report
BMC Digital Workplace provides licenses on a per user basis. The BMC Digital Workplace Active User Report provides information about the active users in your BMC Digital Workplace environment. Users are considered active when they actually log in to BMC Digital Workplace. Use this report to find out how many users in your organization are actively using BMC Digital Workplace and derive the number of unused or idle licenses.
The following table provides an overview of the BMC Digital Workplace Active User Report:
|Inputs to the report|
The report fetches data from the BMC Digital Workplace database, and displays records from the date when BMC Digital Workplace was deployed in your environment, through the date when you generate the report.
|Output of the report|
The report displays the following output:
|Location of the report|
The report is located in BMC Digital Workplace Admin console, under Reports.
|Additional features||The following list specifies the additional features of the report:|
|Limitations of the report|
Currently, the report does not provide the following features:
Allen is a BMC Digital Workplace administrator and he wants to review how many users in his organization are actively using BMC Digital Workplace. Allen uses the Active User Report and specifies a date range for last six months to generate the report. The report shows the total active users on all types of devices are 1900. He knows that his organization has 2000 MyIT licenses. With this information, Allen concludes that in the past six months, 1900 users actively used BMC Digital Workplace and 100 licenses were unused. Allen exports the report to a CSV format and uses it as a compliance and audit report.
Before you use the Active User Report
- Ensure that you are a member of the MyIT Admin or MyIT Super Admin permission group.
- The report is available by default and you do not need to do any additional configurations to view the report.
- You can view the data only for your own tenant.
- In a clustered BMC Digital Workplace environment, you can view the data only for the current tenant.
- Ensure that the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console is accessible.
To use the BMC Digital Workplace Active User Report