Installing the Smart IT and MyIT User Experience patch
Before you install Remedy with Smart IT (Smart IT) or MyIT, you must install the User Experience patch on your AR System server or server group. This patch enables BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) to work with Smart IT and MyIT. For Smart IT, this patch enables viewing incidents, requests, approvals, and so on in the timeline and activity feed. Without this patch, timelines, email notifications, and social features will not work in either Smart IT or MyIT. The installation applies required BMC Remedy ITSM patches.
To install the patch in an AR System server group, follow these procedures:
- Run the User Experience patch installer on the Admin server of the AR System server group environment.
- Run the User Experience patch installer on all nodes of the server group.
BMC Remedy ITSM upgrades and patches will overwrite the User Experience patch changes. If you install Smart IT or MyIT for a supported BMC Remedy ITSM and later upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM to a new version or apply a service pack or patch, you must reinstall the Smart IT MyIT User Experience patch, or neither Smart IT nor MyIT will perform correctly.
Before you begin
Ensure that you have the the following applications installed (minimum requirements):
BMC Remedy Action Request System (BMC Remedy AR System)
BMC Remedy ITSM
BMC Service Request Management (if your implementation includes BMC Service Request Management)
- Ensure that the BMC Remedy AR System server is running Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 8 installed with the JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to the JRE path; for example, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8. Otherwise, the patch will not install correctly.
- Back up your database and environment.
- Find your completed installation worksheet for MyIT and Smart IT, so that you know the server on which MyIT (and, optionally, Smart IT) will be installed and what port it will use.
Running the patch installer from any server other than the BMC Remedy ITSM server is not supported.
To install the User Experience patch
- On the BMC Remedy AR System and BMC Remedy ITSM server machine, download the installation files for the social patch from http://www.bmc.com/available/epd.html: UserExperiencePatchversion.windows.zip or UserExperiencePatchversion.platform.tar.gz.
- After decompressing the User Experience patch files, run the setup.exe or setup.bin file.
Complete the steps in the installation process by using the information that you collected on the installation worksheet.
If you plan to use Smart IT, leave the Import only MyIT definition files option deselected. Selecting this option imports data only for the MyIT application, and Smart IT data is not imported.
Review the installation summary, and click Install.
- Run the user experience patch installer on secondary AR System servers in a server group.
This action updates the binaries and plug-in files but does not import any .def files. When the patch is installed on the primary server, the .def files are imported and available in the database, so they do not need to be imported into the secondary servers.
If you have recently installed or upgraded BMC Remedy ITSM suite, the installation of User Experience patch might display the following message:
"Reindexing in progress.Please wait until the reindexing is finished on this AR".
Re-indexing may take from hours to days depending on your data. To check whether re-indexing is in progress, go to AR System Server Information > FTS tab. The Reindex check box is disabled if re-indexing is in progress and a message is displayed. Wait till the re-indexing is complete, and then install User Experience patch.
Sometimes, re-indexing may be stuck. Go to <BMC Software\ARSystem\ftsconfiguration\collection> and verify whether the index files generated are getting updated with the latest time stamp. A considerable difference in the current time and the latest timestamp implies FTS re-indexing is stuck. You need to re-index your data. Before re-indexing, delete the entries in the
ft_pending table in the database.
Where to go from here
Verify whether you have any steps remaining to prepare for installation.