Adding and updating service categories
As a service catalog administrator or internal service supplier, you can use categories to group related services. End users can filter the catalog by a cascading list of categories. When creating catalog sections, BMC Digital Workplace administrators can include a service category. Service catalog administrators can create and maintain the system category list to enforce consistency in the service catalog.
BMC Digital Workplace provides three levels of categories that service catalog administrators and internal service suppliers can use to organize services in the catalog.
Service catalog administrators can also:
- Import categories from systems (if supported), such as BMC Remedy and Flexera AppPortal.
- Configure a custom mapping between the source catalog and the internal catalog. When you import services from those systems, the services are categorized based on their mapping assignment.
- Add service categories in multiple languages. You can publish service categories and their translations for the end users in different locales. For more information, see Localizing catalog items.
To add a category
- Go to Services > Categories.
The Manage Categories screen appears.
- Click New Category, enter a category name, and then click Create.
To organize services with multilevel categories
The following video (3:12) demonstrates how categories are used in service catalog profiles, and how to create and edit the category list.
The following video shows an older version of BMC Digital Workplace Catalog. The previous product name was MyIT Service Broker. Although there might be minor changes in the UI, the overall functionality remains the same.
If a user cannot see the categories, ensure that the user is not assigned to conflicting permissions groups in BMC Digital Workplace Catalog. For information about user permission groups, see Setting up user accounts and granting access to BMC Digital Workplace Catalog.
Where to go from here
Before you can apply categories to services, enable the categories in the service type template. For more information, see Service type templates.