Search in BMC Helix Digital Workplace
As the BMC Helix Digital Workplace administrator, you must understand how search works to assist your business users.
End users can use the search feature from the following areas of the BMC Helix Digital Workplace end user console:
The Global search panel is available on the following pages:
- Catalog page
- My Activity page
(Optional) Custom page—The Global search component can be added to a custom page.
For more details about this feature, see Creating workplaces for your lines of business.
The Global search panel looks like this:
End users can search for the following records:
|Types of records||Records|
BMC Helix Digital Workplace records
You can set multiple search providers in BMC Helix Digital Workplace.
Search in the Active and Past events sections
The following table describes filtering options for Active and Past events:
|Event type||Filtering option||View type|
|By text||By type||By status||By date||List||Card|
To disable the On Hold status, clear the appropriate check box in approval settings; see Enabling users to put approvals on hold . To disable the More information status, clear all the check boxes for approval types; see Enabling approvals .
To filter appointments by date, you must know the date of their creation. For example, on April 3, Sam creates an appointment for April 7. He clicks the Filter by date icon > Custom date range > On > April 3. Sam sees the appointment for April 7. If Sam selects April 7, he will not see the appointment for April 7.
Search from the Social section
You can search for the following records in the Social section on the user preferences page:
- User groups
The following image shows the Social section on the user preferences page:
How search results are displayed
Search results are displayed to end users according to the following principles:
End users see search results on tabs shown in the following image. The Top Hits tab displays the result highlights. To see the results pertaining to the particular category, end users can click on each tab.
You can limit the number of results per tab and also disable the parallel search of requests and approvals. See Configuring search results.
In summary sections, end users can see the top three results for a category. To see all results in the category, an end user can click See more. The following screenshot shows the summary section for the Users category:
A BMC Helix Digital Workplace administrator can configure the list of tabs by enabling or disabling corresponding features. The BMC Helix Digital Workplace administrator can disable the Approvals, Appointments, Locations, Assets, and Users tabs. The BMC Helix Digital Workplace administrator cannot disable the Top Hits, Catalog items, Articles, Requests tabs. To configure end user features in the BMC Helix Digital Workplace Admin console, see Enabling end user features.
To disable the Assets tab, the BMC Helix Digital Workplace administrator must disable the Locations feature in the BMC Helix Digital Workplace Admin console.
- Search results are sorted based on their relevance to the search query—from the most relevant on top, down to the least relevant. Results that have the same relevance are sorted alphabetically.
- If no search results are found, the application displays "No results found," and the filter menu is hidden.
- For SRDs from BMC Service Request Management, search results are displayed in the following order:
- SRDs that are marked as popular by the administrator in BMC Service Request Management are displayed at the top.
- SRDs that are requested more times than other SRDs are displayed after the popular SRDs.
- All SRDs that follow are displayed alphabetically by the SRD title.
- In the People searches, type user's full or part of the name without a backslash; for more information about the People searches, see Configuring end user display settings.
How search works with the computer screen reader program
Visually impaired end users might find it easier to search for services in the Global search panel than to browse the catalog. They can use Tab and arrow keys to navigate the screen, and press Enter to make selections.