Integrating BMC Digital Workplace with BMC TrueSight Operations Management
BMC TrueSight Operations Management (formerly named BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management) can provide information about service availability to BMC Digital Workplace users. If you enable the integration, services that by BMC TrueSight Operations Management monitors are listed in BMC Digital Workplace, and BMC TrueSight Operations Management updates the availability status.
To enable the integration between BMC TrueSight Operations Management and BMC Digital Workplace
In the following procedure, you will add and configure a cell named local in theserver. BMC Digital Workplace communicates with this cell, instead of the actual cell. (The BMC Truesight Integration Management server is a component of BMC TrueSight Operations Management, which contains the actual cell configuration.)
Navigate to the following directory:
(Windows) installationDirectory\BMC Software\Impact Web Services\Tomcat\webapps\imws\WEB-INF\etc\
- (Linux) installationDirectory/bmc/ImpactWebServices/Tomcat/webapps/imws/WEB-INF/etc/
Using a text editor, open the mcell.dir file, and add the following line:
cell local mc <trueSightInfrastructureManagementServer_hostName>:1828
<trueSightInfrastructureManagementServer_hostName>with the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management server host name. The cell name must be local.
- On the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management server, ensure that a line referencing the actual cell name with which the
server communicates is available:
On the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management server, navigate to the following directory:
(Windows) nstallationDirectory\BMC Software\TrueSight\pw\server\etc\
Using a text editor, open the mcell.dir file, and ensure that the following line is available:
cell pncell_<trueSightInfrastructureManagementServer_hostName> mc <trueSightInfrastructureManagementServer_hostName>:1828
<trueSightInfrastructureManagementServer_hostName>is the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management server host name.
The host and port present in mcell.dir file on the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management server should match the cell configured on theserver.
For information about configuring the cell when the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management server is operating in a high availability mode, see in the BMC TrueSight Operations Management documentation.
The following video (4:00) shows an overview of integrating BMC Digital Workplace with BMC TrueSight Operations Management.
The following video shows an older version of BMC Digital Workplace. The previous product name was MyIT. Although there might be minor changes in the user interface, the overall functionality remains the same.
To enable the integration with BMC TrueSight Operations Management
- From the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console (http://server:port/dwp/admin), click the Configuration tab.
- Click Application Features.
- In the Providers table, select BPPM pluggable provider.
- Update the URL with the BMC TrueSight Operations Management service URL. (Use the following format: http://server:port/imws/services/ImpactManager.)
- Click Update settings.
- Click the Reload providers button
The BMC Truesight Operations Management settings are saved on the BMC Remedy AR System server in the Applications metadata. in the top-right corner of the Providers table.
To add services to BMC Digital Workplace
- On the Services tab , click Service Availability.
- In the Service Availability pane, click Add.
- On the Main tab, enter or update information about the service. You can filter services to find the service that you want to update.
- Annotation: Add notes about the service.
- Enabled: Select this check box to make the service visible on client devices and available to users.
- Auto follow: Select this check box to send notifications about this service automatically to client devices.
- Profile Image: (Optional) An image to use in the service's profile. The images must be 320x200 pixels, 640x400 pixels, or another size with the same aspect ratio. The profile image supports GIF, JPG, PNG, and BMP file types.
- Status: The BMC TrueSight Operations Management integration will automatically update the status.
- Click the Actions tab, and add actions that clients can use for each service.
From the list of available actions, move the actions you want to the Selected Actions list.
On a service profile, URL actions are listed before request actions.
- Click the Groups tab, and add groups to and remove groups from the services.
- The Search for Groups field enables you to filter the groups list to find the groups that you want to configure.
- The first table shows a list of your filtered list of groups that are available to you to add.
- Selected Groups are the groups that have been added to this service.
- Click Save.
You can configure actions for any of these services, as described in Setting up service health items.
Service status values
The BMC TrueSight Operations Management integration automatically updates the status to one of the following values:
- Available—The service is available.
- Information—A special message or exception is associated with the service.
- Performance issue—The service is available but is impacted by some performance errors.
- Unknown—The status is unknown due to issues with the BMC TrueSight Operations Management integration.
- Maintenance—The service is down or unavailable due to scheduled maintenance.
- Disruption—The service is unavailable.