Exploring the Question Designer
As a catalog administrator, internal service supplier administrator, or internal service supplier, you can build service questionnaires by using the Questions Designer tool. You can access the Question Designer by adding a new questionnaire to the Questionnaire Library or editing an existing questionnaire in the library.
Before you begin
Create either or both of the following items:
- A service that will use the questionnaire, as described in Adding and updating services.
- A workflow that will use the questionnaire, as described in Workflows for service fulfillment.
To access questionnaires associated with a service
- In BMC Digital Workplace Catalog, select Services > Services.
- Double-click a service.
- On the Service Options panel, click Edit next to Workflow.
- On the Workflow & Questions panel, perform one of the following actions:
- To modify the already added questionnaire, click Edit next to Questions.
- To access the Questionnaire Library, click Add next to Questions.
To access questionnaires associated with a workflow
- In BMC Digital Workplace Catalog, select Services > Workflows.
- Select a workflow, and then select Actions > Manage Questions.
- On the Questionnaire Library panel, select a questionnaire.
You can manage questionnaires as required from the Questionnaire Library.
To manage questionnaires in the Question Library
On the Questionnaire Library pane, select a questionnaire, click Actions, and select one of the following options:
- Edit—To modify the questionnaire.
- Create single-user request—To create a new single user request questionnaire.
- Create multi-user request—To create a new multiuser request. For mroe information, see Creating multiuser request questionnaires.
- Copy as multi-user request—To convert the questionnaire to a multiuser request questionnaire.
- Delete—To delete the questionnaire.
- Export for translation—To export the questionnaire for translation. For more information, see Localizing services and bundles by using export and import.
- Import translations—To import a translated questionnaire.
Overview of the Question Designer interface
The Questions Designer consists of the following elements:
From the Questions tab, you can drag questions and drop them onto the canvas. The Questions tab includes the following sections:
- Process Questions—Shows process input variables used in the associated workflow. You must drag all process questions onto the canvas and configure them as required so that they appear in the questionnaire. The information captured by these questions is passed into workflows.
- User Generated Questions—Is empty until you add questions to the canvas. After you drop any question onto the canvas, the question appears in this section.
The following example shows process questions added to the questionnaire:
Through actions, you can make it easier for the user to complete the questionnaire by populating or updating question responses with information from Remedy forms. When the user makes a request, actions can be triggered when the questionnaire opens. For example, when the service questionnaire opens, an action can populate the Approver question with the requester's manager. Actions can also be triggered when the user responds to a question. For example, when the user selects a value for the Site question, an action can populate the shipping address questions. You can add actions only after there are applicable questions on the canvas.
If you import an SRD from BMC Service Request Management, actions created in BMC Service Request Management are not displayed on the Actions tab. But actions and triggers from the imported SRD run when the user completes the questionnaire.
For details about actions and triggers, see Creating questions with default responses.
The canvas represents the questionnaire. A new canvas does not include any questions until you add them from the Questions tab.
On the canvas you can perform the following actions:
- Rearrange the order of the questions by using drag and drop.
- Group questions on multiple pages.
- Edit questions in the questionnaire.
- Delete questions from the questionnaire.
Be aware that conditional questions and some action triggers have dependencies on questions. If you delete a question that is specified for a conditional question or for an action trigger, you cannot save the service questionnaire until you resolve the issue. For details about conditional questions, see Building conditional questionnaires.
By default, all questions that you drag onto the canvas are added to the default Page 1 tab:
If you have a complex questionnaire with multiple questions, you can group them and distribute among multiple pages in a questionnaire. Questions distributed among pages in a service questionnaire are displayed in sections in a service request. In the following example, the service request is built on a questionnaire with questions grouped in the VM info, User info, and Resource group info sections: