Enabling questions to share responses between multiple services in the same cart
Sharing responses between multiple services in the same shopping cart is also referred to as prepopulating user responses. As a catalog administrator, you can enable or disable the capability to prepopulate user responses in a service questionnaire.
If an end user requests multiple services in the same shopping cart in the BMC Digital Workplace end user console, the user might have to answer the same questions repeatedly when submitting the request. You can help users save time by preparing questions to allow for a user's answers to be carried forward as suggestions to match questions for services already in the cart. The user can accept or override the prepopulated responses before submitting the request.
Plan in advance for specific questions that you expect users will need to answer across multiple services. Responses will be prepopulated with suggested answers if they match both of the following attributes:
- Question label
- Question type
Examples of sharing responses between multiple services in the same cart
In some cases, the system might prepopulate the user's responses to a question that is a different but compatible type. Question types are considered compatible if the responses can be copied to a service where the same question appears, without losing information.
Following are examples of a request for three services:
- Three services with a similar text-type question:
- For the first service, a user completes a "Delivery Address" question that is a text field, which does not allow line breaks.
- For the second service, the "Delivery Address" question is a text area, which does allow line breaks. The user's response might be prepopulated in the second service.
- For the third service, if the "Delivery Address" question is again a standard text field, the user's second response is not prepopulated as a suggestion. This avoids any potential conflicts with line breaks.
- Three services with a similar selection-type question:
- For the first service, a user selects multiple options for an "Equipment" check-box question
- For the second service, the "Equipment" question is a multiselect dropdown, which also accepts multiple options. The user's responses might be prepopulated as suggestions in the second service.
- For the third service, if the "Equipment" question is a single-select dropdown, the user's second response is not prepopulated as a suggestion.
- Similar questions for two of three services:
- For the first service, a user selects one item for a "Monitor Size" dropdown question
- The second service does not have any "Monitor Size" question.
- For the third service, if the "Monitor Size" question is also a single-select dropdown, the user's response is prepopulated as a suggestion.
For a typical example of a request where the responses to matching questions are prepopulated across services, see Requesting more than one enhanced catalog item with a cart.
To enable prepopulation of user responses
- Log in to BMC Digital Workplace Catalog as a catalog administrator.
- Click the configuration gear ( ) to open the Application Settings.
- Turn on the Prepopulate user responses toggle.
- Click Save.