Setting up service health items
As a BMC Digital Workplace administrator, you set up services to provide status health information about services running in your organization. The services that you create are available to end users on their My Stuff page in the Service health category.
You can set service statuses manually, or you can configure the services to update the status automatically. To enable automatic update of service health, you must integrate BMC Digital Workplace with BMC TrueSight Operations Management.
Example of a service health item with service actions
To enable users to interact with services, you can create actions and associate them with the various services. These actions can include URLs with troubleshooting or service documentation, and URLs to create service requests to report an issue.
The following figure shows a single action associated with the DevOps JIRA App service.
After an end user selects this action, the request form appears. To receive notifications about changes to available service health items, the end user can add the service to favorites, and enable the desired notification type:
Video demonstration: Setting up services
The following video (4:49) demonstrates how you can set up services in BMC Digital Workplace.
The following video shows an older version of BMC Digital Workplace. The previous product name was MyIT. Although there might be minor changes in the user interface, the overall functionality remains the same.
Follow these steps to define the services and service actions with which BMC Digital Workplace users can interact.
To add or edit a service health item
- On the Services tab of the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console (http://server:port/dwp/admin), click Service Availability.
- On the Service Availability page, perform one of the following steps:
- To add a new service, click Add.
- To change an existing service, select it from the table.
- In the services form, enter (or change) the name and description of the service in the Name and Description fields.
- On the Main tab, enter or update information about the service.
- Annotation—Add notes about the service.
- Enabled—Select this check box to make the service visible on client devices and available to users.
- Auto follow—Select this check box to send notifications about this service automatically to client devices.
- Profile Image—(Optional) Upload an image to use in the service's profile. The images must be 320x200 pixels, 640x400 pixels, or another size with the same aspect ratio. The profile image supports GIF, JPG, PNG, and BMP file types.
- Status—Select one of the following options:
- Manual—Manually configure the status of a given service.
From linked service—Tie the status of the selected service to another service. The BMC TrueSight Operations Management integration will automatically update the status.
A service can be in one of the following statuses:
- Available—The service is available.
- Information—A special message or exception is associated with the service.
- Performance issue—The service is available but is impacted by some performance errors.
- Maintenance—The service is down or unavailable due to scheduled maintenance.
- Disruption—The service is unavailable.
- On the Actions tab, add actions that clients can use for each service.
From the list of available actions, move the actions you want to the Selected Actions list.
On a service profile, URL actions are listed before request actions.
- On the Groups tab, add groups to and remove groups from the services.
Depending on the provider you enabled in the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console, the Groups tab contains a list of Remedy Action Request System (Remedy AR System) groups and LDAP groups. By default, the Group provider is enabled for Remedy AR System groups. You can associate groups to a Service. Users belonging to the associated groups auto-follow the service, even if they did not individually enable auto-follow for that Service.
- Search for Groups enables you to filter the groups list to find the groups that you want to configure.
- The first table shows a list of all groups (or your filtered list of all groups) that are available to you to add.
- Selected Groups are the groups that have been added to this service.
- Click Save.
When you add services, they become available to end users on their My Stuff page.
To create actions for service health items
- On the Services tab of the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console (http://server:port/dwp/admin), select Service Actions.
- Click Add, or select an existing service action.
In the Name field, enter the name of the action.
In the Type field, choose a type from the list:
- Client side URL—Enter a URL in the URL field that appears. The user’s device executes the URL.
- Server side URL—Enter a URL in the URL field that appears. The user’s device executes the URL.
- Default request—A default request opens for the user when the action is executed. This is the service request definition (SRD) assigned as the Default Service Request. See .
- Request—Click Select Request and select a request that you want to open for the user when the action is executed. (See Setting up service requests through BMC Service Request Management and Enabling and configuring the enhanced catalog for BMC Digital Workplace.)
Click Create Action.
To localize actions, see Localizing titles and messages.