Designing a workflow to create a request activity log
As the BMC Digital Workplace Catalog administrator or internal service supplier, you can design a new workflow to create a request activity log or update an existing one.
This option enables you to automatically post a comment or several comments to service requests after end users submit the requests in BMC Digital Workplace. For example, in a comment to a request, you might provide a list of SAP approvers or any other data that is relevant to the business task. This information helps the end users in creating their service requests.
This option is supported for the following types of service requests:
- Native BMC Digital Workplace Catalog services and service bundles
- Imported service request definitions (SRDs)
To configure a workflow with a request activity log
- In BMC Digital Workplace Catalog, go to Services > Workflows.
Create a new workflow or open an existing workflow that you want to configure.
To create a request activity log for a native BMC Digital Workplace Catalog service bundle, use the workflow of the service bundle instead of using the workflows of separate services that are included to the service bundle.
In Workflow Designer, in the Service Broker palette section, select the Create Activity Log For Service Request element and drag it onto the canvas.
Configure the Input Map parameters as required:
Input Map parameter Description Required for native services and service bundles Required for imported SRDs Request ID Indicates a service request ID.
Text Indicates a text message to be shown as a comment for a requester. You can add any text in quotes.
Author login ID A value provided in this field is displayed as an author of the activity log. You must add a valid login ID in quotes. If you leave this field blank, a requester's name is displayed as an author of the activity log.
Visibility Indicates if the activity log is public or internal. You can enter "Public" or "Internal" values (in quotes).
- If you choose an internal type of visibility, the activity log is hidden from a requester.
- If you choose a public type of visibility, the activity log is shown for a requester.
- If you leave the field blank, the activity log is shown for a requester.
Enter "True" to display the comment in other systems such as Remedy ITSM. Enter "False" to restrict its visibility to BMC Digital Workplace.
(Optional) If you need one more comment to be shown for end users, add and configure another Create Activity Log For Service Request element with a different name in the same workflow.
The Create Activity Log For Service Request element can be used several times with different names and in any place of the workflow.
- (Optional) Update other elements of your workflow if required.
Save the changes.
If you place the Create Activity Log For Service Request right after the Start External Activity action in a workflow, the comment will be displayed twice in the service request details. If you place the Create Activity Log For Service Request right after the Submit Service Request, the comment will not be duplicated.
View of a request activity log
After the workflow is configured and saved in BMC Digital Workplace Catalog, if an end user submits a corresponding service request in BMC Digital Workplace, the activity log is displayed as follows:
- In BMC Digital Workplace, comments from the workflow are automatically added to the request details and are shown on the Details page of the submitted request, as shown in the following illustration:
- Information about the request activity log for the imported SRD is automatically populated in the Request Details form of Remedy ITSM, as shown in the following illustration:
Log in or register to comment.