Performing the BMC Digital Workplace upgrade
This topic describes how to use the wizard installer to upgrade BMC Digital Workplace on a single server. Other options for running the installer are described in Performing the BMC Digital Workplace installation.
Before you begin
Complete the tasks described in Preparing for a BMC Digital Workplace upgrade.
To upgrade BMC Digital Workplace on a single server
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, DigitalWorkplaceV.V.V.windows.zip or DigitalWorkplaceV.V.V.linux.tar.gz where VV.VV.VV and V.V.V indicates the version number of BMC Digital Workplace).
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- On the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- Enter the values from the Upgrade worksheets.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your input.
- Select the directory.
- Back up the following databases before performing an upgrade in your production environment:
- BMC Digital Workplace database
- BMC Remedy AR System database
- If you have BMC Digital Workplace Advanced installed, select the check box if you want to switch to using BMC Digital Workplace Basic.
Review the list of services stopped by the installer, and start the services that are required after the upgrade is complete.
After post-upgrade cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- From the installation summary, review the information and any instructions. For example, if a database update failure occurred, you can recover and run the upgrade again if you have a backup of your database and perform the recovery steps:
- Restore the database by using the backup created in step 8.
- View the installation log files to find and correct the cause of failure. For example, review any SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log. See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\digital_workplace_install_log.txt (Windows)
- /tmp/digital_workplace_install_log.txt (Linux)
- Run the installer again.
The upgrade resumes from the last successful step.
Click Done to exit the installer.
When the DWP Application service starts for the first time after the upgrade, the total processor utilization across all cores increases for the first few minutes. The increase in total processor utilization depends on your server configuration and other applications running on the same server.
To upgrade BMC Digital Workplace in a cluster
- Upgrade BMC Digital Workplace on the first server, as described earlier in this topic.
You can run the first upgrade on the primary server, or on any of the secondary servers.
Upgrade BMC Digital Workplace on each of the other servers in the cluster.
For each of these additional upgrades, the application is upgraded on the applicable server. However, the AR System server and database are not updated because they are updated when you run the upgrade on the first server.
You can save time by upgrading the other servers in parallel. However, you should start the additional upgrades only after completing the upgrade for the first server.