Enabling room reservations
As aBMC Digital Workplace administrator, you can allow end users to reserve assets, such as conference rooms or guest rooms.
Scenarios for reserving rooms
The following scenarios describe the need for reserving a room:
- Pete wants to reserve a conference room in the Houston office for a training session with 20 customers. He wants a room with a white board and a projector. In BMC Digital Workplace on his tablet, he clicks on the Reservations calendar icon, and searches for a conference room for the date and location with a white board, a projector, and a capacity of 20 people. Finding a room on the first floor, he reserves the room.
- Pete's company provides a free massage benefit to its employees. To have a 30-minutes massage, Pete needs to book a massage room that is available on the first floor of the office. In the BMC Digital Workplace, he opens the Locations tab, and selects his office location. On the floor map, he selects the massage room, selects an available slot of of time, and reserves the massage.
To configure room assets for reservation
Perform the following steps to configure room assets to be allowed for reservation:
|1||System administrator||Configure the mailbox server||To configure mailbox server|
BMC Digital Workplace administrator
|Create, configure, and add assets to the floor maps.||Add assets to floor maps.|
|3||Enable the Exchange pluggable provider.||Making configuration changes to integrated applications.|
|4||Allow reservation for room assets||To allow reservation for room assets|
To configure mailbox server
As a system administrator, perform the following steps:
- Set up the Microsoft Exchange server. See online documentation for details about how to set up the mailbox server.
- Create email accounts to be used for rooms reservations. For more details about how to do create room mailboxes, see in Microsoft online documentation.
(Recommended) For each room mailbox, create regular events for the non-working hours, so that users will not be able to book a room at the non-working time.
To allow reservations for assets
You can allow reservation of assets by asset types.
- In the BMC Digital Workplace Admin, go to Location Management > Assets > Types library.
- For each asset type that you want to be available for reservation, specify the following details:
- A valid email address provided to you by the system administrator, so that it can be reserved on the Microsoft Exchange server.
- Select the applicable Asset Attributes, including the capacity for the room so that users find assets that match their search criteria.
- For rooms, select the appropriate Custom fields so that users can enter the criteria for searches.
Enable Allow reservations and Allow checkins.
When you are done configuring rooms for reservation, end users can perform the following actions:
- Search for the assets available for reservations on their Locations page:
- Find the room assets on a floor map:
- View the room asset profile:
- Choose the available time slot for reservation:
When the end user reserves a room, the appropriate notification is sent to the My Activity feed, and an email notification is sent to the end user. The event is automatically created in the user's mailbox calendar.
To decline the reservation, end users need to decline the event in their mailbox calendar.