Preparing for upgrade
To avoid data loss (for example, in the reports data warehouse) and upgrade failure, perform the following tasks before upgrading:
The following sections provide information about the latest builds and the supported upgrade paths. Ensure that you are upgrading BMC Decision Support for Server Automation from one of the versions that are supported for upgrade
The following table lists information for the most recent BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation version 8.9 builds.
EPD version number
Base version 8.9
September 23, 2016
Supported upgrade paths
The following figure illustrates the supported upgrade paths for BMC Decision Support for Server Automation versions upto 8.9:
To know the supported upgrade paths for versions upto 8.7.00 or 8.8.00, see Preparing for upgrade in version 8.8.00 documentation.
In the above figures, abbreviations are defined as follows:
- BDSSA stands for BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation
- HF stands for HotFix
- SP stands for Service Pack
Assigning roles to users
(For SQL Server only) Ensure that you have roles assigned to various database users as follows:
Assigning permissions to users for using the Health Dashboard
(For Oracle only) Ensure that the data warehouse user has been granted the following permissions for using the Health Dashboard before upgrade to version 8.9:
- GRANT SELECT ON dba_data_files TO datawarehouseUser
- GRANT SELECT ON dba_free_space TO datawarehouseUser
Use the BMC Decision Support for Server Automation Console to ensure that all extract, transform, and load (ETL) runs have completed and that ETL is not running. For more information, see Viewing the ETL status.
When upgrading, ensure the following
- Ensure that you have installed version 8.9 of BMC Server Automation Network Shell.
- Verify that you are upgrading from a supported version of BMC Server Automation. For more information, see Supported upgrade paths.
Backing up databases and Inventory templates
Back up the following databases:
- Reports data warehouse
- Portal content store database
- ETL (ODI) master and ETL (ODI) work repository databases
Also back up the Inventory templates.
Exporting and backing up custom reports
You can export custom reports by using the export utility available in Content Administration in IBM Cognos Administration (see IBM Cognos Administration and Security Guide at PDFs).
All reports are exported to a zip file that is located on the reports server in the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/deployments directory. When the report export is complete, ensure that you back up the export file to another known location.
You cannot perform this task after you have applied BDSSA licensing hotfix. For more information, see Notification of immediate action required by users of BMC Decision Support for Server Automation.
Backing up your files
If you customized files (for example, if you manually edited any portal configuration files), these changes are not maintained when you upgrade the product. You must reapply those changes. Before upgrading the product, back up your files so that you can use them to restore your customizations.
You can replace some of the new files with your original customized files after the upgrade, but not all of them. Some files are modified during the upgrade and you cannot replace them with your older customized files. Instead, you must modify the new files after the upgrade. Record the directory path of the customized files so that you can copy them to the correct location after the upgrade or easily locate the new files that you need to customize.
Back up the following files:
- system.xml files in the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/templates/ps or the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/templates/ps/qs directory. After upgrade, you can replace this file with the back up copy.
- coglocale.xml in the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/configuration directory. After upgrade, you can replace this file with the back up copy.
- server.xml in the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/tomcat4.1.27/conf or BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/tomcat/conf directory. After upgrade, you can replace this file with the back up copy.
- blappserv_login.conf and blappserv_krb5.conf in the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/br directory. After upgrade, you can replace this file with the back up copy.
- system.xml file in the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/templates/ps/portal directory. After upgrade, you cannot replace this file with the back up copy. You must reapply your changes to the new file.
If you exported any report content, back up these files so that you can import the content from the files after the upgrade. For more details about exporting and importing, see Importing and exporting report definition, content, and package.