Moving the BMC Decision Support for Server Automation environment
To move the BMC Decision Support for Server Automation infrastructure to a new environment, you need to first back up and then restore Cognos files, other product files, directories, and databases. This topic provides the instructions to back up and restore these entities.
Backing up Cognos files
Back up various Cognos files as follows:
Back up the Cognos configuration file (cogstartup.xml) by entering the following command:
portal/bin64/cogconfig[.bat|.sh] -e <backupLocation>/cogstartup.xml.
The cogstartup.xml file is not an encrypted file. Therefore, store it in a secure location. This file is re-encrypted when Cognos starts.
Back up the following files and directories:
Location of Files/ Directories Files/ Directories BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/configuration
Cryptographic keys directories:
system.xml from all the specified folders
Apache Web Server configuration files:
BDSSAInstallationDirectory/webserver/conf/extra Apache Web Server configuration file:
BDSSAInstallationDirectory/webserver/htdocs Apache Web Server configuration file:
BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/tomcat/conf server.xml BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal
- Directory: deployment
- Any reports that are exported in this directory
Export the entire Cognos content store from the reports portal by using the export utility available in Content Administration in IBM Cognos Administration. For instructions, see the "Create an Export Deployment Specification" section in the PDFs and videos.
The exported archive files are stored in the BDSSAInstallationDirectory/portal/deployment directory. When the report export is complete, ensure that you back up the export file to another known location.
You can schedule the export activity.
Backing up other files and databases
Back up following other files, directories, and databases as follows:
|Location of Databases/ Files/ Directories||Databases/ Files/ Databases|
|Installation location (a location that is specified during installation and commonly referred to as agentLogFilesDirectory)||Directory: Agentlogs|
Restoring the BMC Decision Support for Server Automation environment
Complete the following steps to restore the reports server in a new environment:
- Restore the following databases that you backed up. If any of these databases crashed, restore them from the latest back up copy, or create new databases as required.
Reports data warehouse
The database restore must be in sync with the BMC Server Automation database.
- ETL (ODI) master and ETL (ODI) work databases
- If the previous Cognos content store database crashed, import the content store from the reports portal by using the import utility available in Content Administration in IBM Cognos Administration. For instructions, see the "Importing to a Target Environment" section in the . If the previous content store database did not crash, point the reports server to use this database during installation.
- Install BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation in the new environment using the installation worksheet. While installing, provide details of the restored or new databases.
- Configure BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation.
- Restore the customized files in the new environment.
Restoring the customized files
If you customized files, for example if you manually edited any portal configuration files, these changes are not be maintained when you move the product. You must reapply those changes.
You can replace some of the new files with your original customized files during the restore process, but not all of them. Note the directory path of the customized files so that you can copy them to the correct location or easily locate the new files that you need to customize.
You can replace the following files with your customized files from the previous environment:
You cannot replace the following files with your customized files from the previous environment (you must reapply your changes to the new files).