Performing the installation on UNIX
- You can install
- MultiExcerpt named 'Product_Name' was not found
- You can install the product only as a root user. Nonroot user installation is not supported.
- You can install the product only in GUI mode. Console mode installation is not supported.
Before you begin
Review the information in the following topics:
Also, ensure that the following requirements are met:
- If you are reinstalling the product after uninstalling it, ensure that the Cognos service is removed before you start reinstalling the product. Also, ensure that you reboot the computer before reinstalling the product.
- The Oracle instance must be up and running for the Cognos service to start after the installation.
Assign the execute permission to the root user on the directory in which you have downloaded the binaries by using the following commands:
chmod +x ./Disk1/setup.bin
chmod +x ./Disk1/files/jre/bin/java
- You must install the product from a computer where X server is installed. Follow these steps before you install the product from a computer with X server software:
- Start the X server software.
Configure the security settings of the X server software to permit remote hosts to display X applications on the local system.
Connect to the remote system where you want to install the product and start a terminal session on that system, for example, an X terminal (
- To avoid potential permission-related issues in accessing the files that are needed to start or stop services on UNIX systems, ensure that the user file creation mask (also called umask) for a UNIX user is set to 022 before installation.
To set umask, run the following command as a root user in the same terminal session in which you plan to invoke the installation program:
set umask 022.
BMC Decision Support for Server Automation uses a customized user account named blauth to run the Authentication Service. All parent directories of the directory in which BMC Decision Support for Server Automation is installed need to be readable by blauth or the Authentication Service does not start after installation.
To install BMC Decision Support for Server Automation on UNIX
- Log on as root.
- Navigate to the Disk1 directory, where you have extracted the installation files.
Invoke the installation script by using the following command:
- Follow the instructions on the installation screens. For details about the required installation parameters, see Installation worksheet.
To configure the product immediately after the installation, click the specified URL to launch the BMC Decision Support for Server Automation Console in a web browser. Alternatively, you can configure the product later by launching the console.
When you finish specifying installation options in the installation screens, it can take 20 to 30 minutes to install BMC Decision Support for Server Automation. You can observe this process using the log file that is specified in the installation screen.
If you install the product again on the same computer after uninstalling, you must manually delete the directory in which the product was installed previously before starting the installation again. By default, product is installed in one of the following directories:
- BDSSA, if you have done a fresh installation or upgraded from 8.5 or later versions
- reports, if you have upgraded from a version earlier than 8.5