Removing a NIC from a server in the legacy console
The remove NIC feature allows you to remove a data network interface card (NIC) from a VM.
- You cannot remove a management NIC.
- The remove NIC feature is supported only on VMware, Citrix, and (powered off) Hyper-V.
Before you begin
- On Hyper-V systems, a VM must be in the powered off state before you can remove a NIC from it.
- If you remove a NIC from a server that has storage attached to it, the server will lose connectivity to the storage.
- When a NIC is removed, the associated static/dynamic IP and NAT IP addresses, if applicable, are released.
- If the server has more than one NIC and if the NIC you remove is associated with a firewall, any security between the firewall and NIC is removed, potentially leaving the server vulnerable.
- Network traffic patterns will change for the server if you remove a NIC associated with a load balancer.
- Configured network paths might be impacted if you remove a NIC.
If you remove the only remaining data NIC from a server, data connectivity will be lost for the server. You might be able to add a new data NIC to the server if your cloud administrator has created Add NIC as a Modify Actions option. However, this option is not available by default.
If you use the the Add NIC Day 2 (TRO) action on an onboarded SOI, the action fails with the following message:
ServiceOfferingInstance>. Unexpected error.
Workaround: Ensure that the service offering that you are onboarding has a corresponding requestable offering (service request definition)
To remove a NIC from a server
- Access the My Services tab from one of the following locations:
- BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management — My Cloud Services Console
- BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management — Tenant Administration Console
- BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management — Administration Console (Service Instances workspace)
- Select the service instance containing the server that you want to change.
- Click Servers from the link bar.
- In the IP Addresses table, ensure that Data is selected.
- Select the IP address in the table for the NIC that you want to remove.
- Click the Remove NIC icon
You can view the status of this operation by clicking the Activities tab. .
A warning message is displayed if you choose to delete a NIC associated with a firewall or load balancer. You can either continue with the delete or cancel.