Changing or upsizing deployment types
You can change or upsize deployment types during an upgrade. When you upgrade your current environment by adding products from previous environments, you can upsize the deployment type. For example, if you installed a Small deployment type during version 4.1.x, you can change the deployment type to Medium and then install additional products in the version 4.5 or later environment.
This topic shows you how to change deployments from Small to Medium during an upgrade.
Understanding the differences between Small and Medium deployments
The following table lists the major differences between Small and Medium deployments. indicates instances that are required in the installer for the Deployment type, and indicates additional instances you can add to the deployment. For example, the Small Deployment requires only one Mid Tier instance. On the other hand, the Medium deployment requires two Mid Tier instances and you can install additional instances as needed to increase performance.
|Atrium Core Web Registry|
|BMC Server Automation - File Server (optional)|
|BMC Server Automation - App Server & Console|
|BMC Server Automation - Multiple App Server (optional)|
|Atrium Orchestrator - CDP|
|Atrium Orchestrator - CDP (HA) (optional)|
|BMC Network Automation|
|Cloud Database Extensions|
|Cloud Platform Manager|
|Cloud Portal AR Extensions|
|Enterprise-AR - Secondary (optional)|
|Cloud-AR - Secondary (optional)|
|Cloud Portal AR Extensions - Secondary (optional)|
|PXE Server (optional)|
|BMC Server Automation - Advance Repeater (optional)|
|BMC Network Automation - Device Agent (optional)|
To upgrade a deployment
This section illustrates how to upgrade a Small Deployment to a Large Deployment.
Make sure that:
- your environment is fully functional before you upsize deployments during the upgrade. Otherwise, you might encounter integration problems that can hinder your progress.
- you prepare hosts for new product installations.
- you understand the upgrade strategy process.
- Verify that your Small Deployment is in good working order.
- Launch the installer.
- Select Upgrade.
- Select the Small Deployment template.
- Integrate the existing products.
Finish the upgrade. You can find complete end-to-end upgrade steps at In-Place upgrade.
- Modify the existing deployment.
- The Modify Existing Deployment option appears when you finish the upgrade.
- You can also force the installer to display the Modify Existing Deployment option with the following workaround:
- Rename the existing Planner folder (for example, located at C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Planner) and the productregistry.xml file.
- Launch the installer.
- Select Install (not Upgrade) as the installation type.
- When you reach the Select Deployment Type panel, select Modify Existing Deployment.
- Select the Deployment Tier (for example, Both), and then click Next.
The options are Control Tier, Workload Tier, and Both.
- In the Control Tier, click
to add another node, and then enter the host name for the second Mid Tier node to install it.
- Click Next to continue to the Workload Tier.
- Install additional products, for example, the PXE Server.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
Log in or register to comment.