Creating new services for the Service Catalog
This topic describes how to create a new service for the Service Catalog. This topic contains the following sections:
A service is the utility that an organization provides and is defined by its service offerings, requestable offerings, and service level targets.
For example, the Calbro IT organization offers an email service, which includes gold and silver service offerings that have service level targets based on response times.
In the Service Catalog, a service must have at least one service offering and can have one or more requestable offerings. When you create a service, it is saved to BMC.ASSET dataset.
To make sure that your business service CIs appear in the Service Catalog, use the Service Catalog to create them. The Service Catalog displays only instances of the BMC_BusinessService data model class where the ServiceType attribute is set to "BusinessService" or "TechnicalService," and it correctly sets this attribute when creating a CI. Other BMC interfaces that create business service CIs, such as the Atrium Explorer or Service Model Editor applications in BMC Atrium Core, do not correctly set the value for ServiceType. If an existing business service CI does not appear in the Service Catalog, edit the value of ServiceType to make it appear. To avoid potential problems with reconciliation and promotion, do not create service CIs with duplicate names.
To create a service
- From the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Administration Console, click the vertical Workspaces menu on the left side of the window, and click Service Catalog.
- In the Service Catalog, click Create a New Service .
- Enter the service name.
- For Type, select a service type.
- Business service - Services that customers use and that shows the customer view of services, such as email or an online store.
Technical service - Supporting IT and infrastructure resources required to support business services that are not visible to customers, such as servers, applications, and network CIs.
After you select the type and save the service, you cannot change the type.
- Enter a description of the service.
- Do one of the following:
- To create the service offering, click Apply.
- To create the service offering later, click Save to save your selections and close the window.
Where to go next
After creating a service, define a service offering.