Using LPAR resources in service blueprints
If you created an IBM LPAR VGP with BMC Server Automation, you can include LPAR resources when you create a service blueprint.
This topic contains the following information:
Before you begin
Review the following topics:
To use LPAR resources in service blueprints
- In the Service Designer workspace, create the server group.
For Hardware, select PowerPC-64 (for IBM AIX computers).
To use NPIV and virtual disk at the same time, you must select add a tag for proper placement.
- In the Type area, select Virtual.
- Click the Add icon and select a Cloud Platform and Installable Resource for this VM.
- For Cloud Platform select IBM LPAR.
- For Machine Image, select the IBM LPAR VGP (for bare-metal VMs) that you created in the BMC Server Automation Provider.
- Select Install Software, click the Add icon, and select software packages to install on the AIX computer.
- Create the network.
- Click the Connect icon , and then drag a network connection between a the server and the network resource.
- In the Network Placement Details, under IP Address, select Static.
To manage LPAR, you must always set the NIC to Static, due to a limitation in BMC Network Automation.
- Create the definition for the service blueprint.
- Click the Parameters tab.
Click Newto add LPAR parameters to the service blueprint.
- Add the BmcLparCpuMode and BmcLparMemoryMode parameters if you use an IBM LPAR VGP in your service blueprint.
These two LPAR parameters are mandatory in a service blueprint that uses LPAR resources. For more information, see Predefined IBM LPAR parameters.
- (optional) Add the other LPAR parameters.
- Add parameter values appropriate for LPAR.
For example, enter 0.4 for BmcLparSharedCpuMaxProcUnits.
- Add the remaining parameter values.
For example, enter a "user-friendly" Label and Description (which appears as a tooltip).
- Click OK.
- Click Save to save the service blueprint.
Where to go from here
You can also configure the IBM LPAR VGP package with service catalog option choices so that end-users can modify, for example, the Desired, Min, or Max Processing Units when they provision the VM.
- Service Catalog options and option choices
- Configuring end-user Option Choices in service blueprints
- Option Choices available when extending service blueprints
For post-deployment, only the following TRO actions are currently supported with the LPAR VGP:
- Additional System Disk
- Modify CPU (BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management does not support the modification of CPU Processing Units. You can modify only the processor count.)
- Modify Memory
- Add NIC
Add the VM's hostname to DNS before you try to attach the Add NIC as a TRO post-deploy action with the LPAR VGP. The target LPAR instance must be reachable with the hostname from the BMC Server Automation server.
- Add Software
- Add Server
To implement an Add Server TRO for shared memory LPAR provisioning, you must ensure that there is a paging device available for each LPAR instance being provisioned on the target frame.
- In the navigation pane, expand Systems Management and click Servers.
- Select the server on which the shared memory pool is configured.
- From the Tasks menu, click .
- In the Pool Properties window, click the Paging Space Devices tab.
- Ensure that there is a paging device available for each LPAR instance being provisioned on the target frame