Planning your installation
Before you start installing the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution, you must gather information about the required parameters that the installer prompts for each product. You can then review the installation timing of each product to plan for the installation.
If any of your hosts accidentally crashes after you install a product successfully, you must reinstall the product on the same host or a different host. However, the installer does not allow you to perform such an installation because the registry file contains a successfully installed status for the product. To reinstall the product on the same host or on a different host, contact BMC Customer Support.
The following sections explain how you can plan for the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution installation:
Gathering information for the installation
Use the planning spreadsheet to help prepare input values for the installer. To avoid installation errors, refer to the spreadsheet when you run the installation.
This planning spreadsheet replaces the installation worksheets found in the separate product installation guides.
To plan for your installation using the spreadsheet:
- Depending on your environment, download and open the planning spreadsheet for Linux or planning spreadsheet for Microsoft Windows document.
- To prepare for the installer prompts, enter your selections and parameter values in the Value column with the help of your DBA or system administrator.
- Launch the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management installer.
- Start installing a product, based on the installation order.
- Copy parameter values from the spreadsheet and paste them into the product fields in the installer.
The following table lists the estimated installation timing of all products within the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution. You can use this information for planning your installation of the solution.
The installation timing varies, based on the hardware configuration and system performance of the installer host and the product target hosts.
Installation timing on Microsoft Windows
Installation timing on Linux
BMC AR System Server - Cloud Portal and Database
|AR Post Install Configuration||00:06|
BMC Remedy AR System Mid Tier
BMC Atrium Core Web registry
|BMC Server Automation Application Server||00:34|
|BMC Server Automation Console (BladeLogic)||00:20|
|BMC Server Automation Post Install Configuration||00:47|
BMC Server Automation – File server
|BMC Atrium Orchestrator Access Manager and Repository||00:22|
|BMC Atrium Orchestrator CDP||00:15|
|BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Content||00:20|
|BMC Server Automation Console (AO)||00:19|
|Atrium Orchestrator Post Install Configuration||00:12|
Cloud Database Extensions
BMC Network Automation
BMC Network Automation – Device agent
Cloud Platform Manager
Cloud Portal AR Extensions
Enabling logs if you run into problems
- These steps are optional and you should only perform them on an "as needed" basis, because they can slow down the AR System server response time during installations or upgrades.
- The AR System must be installed before you can perform this procedure.
- Log on to the AR System server.
- Open the AR System Administration Console (select Applications >AR System Administration >AR System Administration Console).
- Open the Server Information window (select System >General >Server Information).
- Click the Log Files tab.
- Enable the following logs:
- API Log
- Escalation Log
- Filter Log
- SQL Log
- Plug-in Log
- Click Apply and Save.