Launching the installer and installing the products
This topic describes how to launch the installer and install the products.
Before you begin
- Review the product host requirements for your platform:
- Log on to the computer as the user provided in the installer and verify the user's profile.
If you do not verify this information, the product installations probably will not launch properly. For example:
- Windows – if the user is Administrator, the profile must be C:\Users\Administrator.
- Linux – if the user is root, the profile must be /root.
If you are performing a fresh install on Microsoft Windows with a remote database, the validation check for remote database fails. The suggestion that is displayed by the installation program to fix the failure incorrectly shows the DB host name instead of the AR System hostname.
To work around the issue, from the database server, execute \\<AR_server_name>. This enables you to successfully connect to the AR server.
To launch the installer
- Accept the default values in the installer unless you have a good reason to change them.
- Do not mix and match IP addresses and hostnames during product select in the Host Information panel. Enter all IP addresses or all hostnames, but do not combine them.
- In passwords, some special characters create problems during installation. For more information, see Restricting the use of certain characters in passwords.
- For BMC Network Automation, do not use special characters except _.
- For BMC Server Automation, do not use #.
- With Linux, do not use @.
- Download the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution, as instructed in Downloading the installation files.
- Go to Planner > Windows > Disk 1.
- Start the installer:
- On Microsoft Windows, double-click the setup.cmd file.
On Linux,launch the installer by using Xmanager.
With Xmanager, X applications installed on remote UNIX based computers run seamlessly with Windows applications side by side.
You can also use VConsole to launch the installer.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and click Next.
- On the Installation Prerequisites panel, review all the prerequisites that you must complete before you start the installation.
Select the I have read the prerequisites check box and click Next.
(Optional) Select the Do not display this panel for subsequent installations check box if you do not want to view the prerequisites again during other product installations.
If you have not completed any of the prerequisites listed on the Installation Prerequisites panel, exit the installer and complete the steps first.
- On the Directory Selection panel, navigate to the location on the host where you want to install the planner and click Next.
Accept the default value (C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Planner) if you do not require a specific location for the installation files.
- On the Installation Preview panel, review the information and click Install.
- On the NSH panel, review the installation location, and then click Next.
The default location is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\NSH. Otherwise, navigate to the directory where you want to install NSH.
- In the Select Installation Type panel, select Install and then click Next.
In the Select Deployment Type panel, select New Deployment and then click Next.
The following options are available
When to choose
This is the first time you are launching the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Installer and you have no other existing BMC products installed that you want to add to the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution.
Integrate with an Existing Deployment
You have existing BMC products that you want to add to the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution. For more information, see Integrating brownfield BMC Remedy AR System applications.
Modify Existing Deployment
You already installed one or more products in the solution. Now you want to add install additional products immediately after completing another product installation.
Note: This option only appears on the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Installer UI when you launch the installer after completing an installation. Otherwise, the two options that are visible to you are New Deployment and Integrate with an Existing Deployment.
- On the Select Deployment Template panel, choose the type of deployment template to implement.
- Click Next.
The Deployment Tier Selection panel appears, as displayed in the following figure.
Select the deployment tier based on the products that you want to install first.
You can review the products in the Control and Workload deployment tiers and then
Tier name When to choose Control Tier
You need to install products that enable you to manage the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution. For more information, see Description of BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management products.
You need to scale the solution to multiple data center locations, either physical or logical.
Both You need to install products across tiers. If you want to install all products in the same data center location or geographic location, choose this option.
- Click Next.
The Host Information panel appears.
Continue installing the products.
To install the products
- Review the products in the Control and Workload deployment tiers.
Enter a valid host name for each product that you want to install based on the installation order.
Products that you can install across geographical locations or for high availability (HA) display a + sign next to them. To add additional products, select Add a Node. You can also delete the host by selecting Delete this node.
Ping the target hosts to make sure that they are valid. You can also enter IP addresses. But do not mix-and-match hostnames and IP addresses. Enter one or the other, but not both.
As shown in this example, you can enter all the target hosts before you start installation. Only required products were selected. If necessary, you can install products in multiple sessions.
The installer validates the target hosts, detects existing RSCD versions, and performs additional verification actions.
The installer returns error messages if you try to install conflicting products on the same computer. The installer also verifies the dependencies of the products and suggests other products to install. For example, you are prompted to install BMC Atrium Orchestrator Server so that you can then install Cloud Platform Manager. If the product that you selected has a dependency, click Previous and install the required product first.
Enter the operating system user credentials and passwords for each host in your deployment.
To use the same credentials and passwords for each host, select the Apply the same credentials check box. The installer validates the credentials, deploys the RSCD Agent on the target hosts, and performs additional installation actions.
Deployment is much faster if the installer host and the target host are in the same subnet (about 3 minutes per VM). Otherwise, this step can take quite a long time to complete. Depending on your environment, deploying the RSCD agents can take up to an hour to install per VM if you are installing across the WAN.
Click Next to continue.
The installer deploys the BMC BladeLogic Remote System Call Daemon (RSCD) Agent on the target hosts if it does not exist.Deploying the RSCD Agent and copying the installer files to the target hosts can take an extended period of time to perform.
- When the deployment confirmation panel appears, carefully review the summary of the host settings.
Make sure that the products are installed on the correct target hosts.
To change the hosts, click Previous. You cannot modify the configuration after you start the installation.
- (Optional) Non-installer step: You can track the progress of the installation, such as verify whether the installation files are copied over to the target host, as explained in Tracking installation progress.
The Installation Progress panel appears. The installer stages products into the Currently Installing and Upcoming Installs trees, and automatically selects the correct product to install in its proper order.
Product does not depend on other products to install, for example, BMC AR System Server - Cloud Portal and Database - Primary.
Product depends on other products being installed first. For example, before you can install Platform Manager - Cloud Portal, you must finish installing BMC Atrium Orchestrator Server. Other possible tasks include configuring Data Execution Prevention (DEP) to run the executable. As a result, products that have an unmet dependency remain in the Upcoming Installs tree until the installation of the product on which they depend is complete.
You can review the current progress of an installation at any time by selecting the product in the Currently Installing tree. Click View Deployment Status to review previous progress.
Select a product from the Currently Installing tree (for example, BMC AR System Server - Cloud Portal and Database - Primary) and click Next.
Do not forget to snapshot your VM or back up your database when the installer prompts you.
- At the prompts, enter the installation inputs for each product from your planning spreadsheet.
After you have entered the required setup information, the installer runs a validation check of your user inputs and the Installation Preview panel is displayed.
- Click Install.
The installer displays the status of the installation after the installation is completed. Resolve any warning messages before you continue.
Click Next to continue installing the remaining products in the solution. Otherwise, click Exit to exit the installer.
After you exit the installer, you can resume installing remaining products at any time. If needed, you can switch installer computers.
To immediately resume installing other products in the solution after you exit the installer, launch the installer and choose Modify Existing Deployment.
- After you complete the entire installation session, click Done and then review the summary.
- Click Next.
- Perform one of the following actions:
|Resume installation by modifying the existing deployment|
|Exit the installation|
Where to go from here
For start-to-finish instructions, see:
Apply the following hotfixes/patches after you install or upgrade version 4.1.00:
Synchronize Virtual Cluster or SOI causes VMs to be decommissioned—Patch 4 is required. If you do not apply this patch
- 000110488—This hotfix provides missing files necessary for using a currency other than USD.
- 000111195—This hotfix updates field values that are displayed blank for Cloud Platform and Installable Resources in Service Designer and is required for all BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management deployments. QM001858190/QM001876321 in BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management 4.1 Patch 3 fixes this issue. For details, see Known and corrected issues.
- 000031574—This hotfix applies only if you have BMC Capacity Optimization deployed in your environment.
- 000107519—This hotfix is required for all BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management deployments.
If you encountered any errors during the installation, see troubleshooting installation issues.
If you want to install the products from another computer, see switching installer computers.