Tracking installation progress
You might encounter situations in which the installer is performing installation tasks on a given target host, but the progress is not visible in the installer interface.
To track installation progress
You can monitor the progress of a BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management installation by performing the following steps on each of the product hosts:
- Verify that the installation binary files are copied in the temporary directory on the target host.
For information about the product-specific temporary directory names, see Temporary directory for installation binaries.
- Review the messages, date, and time stamp in the following log files:
- rscd.log located at C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD on Microsoft Windows and /opt/bmc/rscd/NSH/log/ on Linux
- Product installation logs
For example, for the BMC Remedy AR System & IT Service Mgt. Suite installation, review the bmcremedyitsmsuitepreconfiguredstack_install_log.txt file. All installation log files are located at C:\Windows\Temp on Windows and /tmp on Linux. For information about log files for specific products in the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management solution, see Verifying the installation.
- Review the planner_installation_log.txt log file located at C:\Users\<loggedOnUser>\AppData\Local\Temp on Windows and /tmp on Linux.
This log file records all installer activities during the entire solution installation.
Temporary directory for installation binaries
Before the installer launches the installation activity on target hosts, installation binaries are copied to a temporary directory on the target host. The name of the temporary directory varies depending on the product that you are installing. The following table lists these temporary directory names for each product in the solution:
BMC AR System Server – Cloud Portal and Database – Primary
productARSuiteKit_ENTERPRISE_PRIMARY_1 (BMC Remedy AR System & IT Service Mgt. Suite)
BMC Atrium Core – Web Registry
BMC Remedy AR – Mid-Tier
BMC Server Automation – App Server & Console
BMC Network Automation
BMC Atrium Orchestrator
Cloud Database Extensions
Cloud Platform Manager
Cloud Portal Extensions