When you installed BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management, you might have customized one or several components in the solution to suit your business needs (for example, the Network Automation API). This section covers information about how to upgrade those customizations to version 3.1 or 3.1 SP1 when you perform the upgrade.
Upgrade strategies for customizations
Evaluate the customizations in your environment. You have the following options:
- Replace your customizations.
- Partially port your customizations.
- Completely port your customizations.
- BMC strongly recommends that you try to use out-of-the-box functionality instead of creating customized functionality. Using out-of-the-box functionality ensures that your content is not lost when BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management is upgraded.
- Identify all your customizations before you start the upgrade, and then prepare your data accordingly.
- Thoroughly test the ported customization before you go live. Verify your customizations when you perform the upgrade.
|Customization category||How do you handle it?||Examples|
|Replacement||Replace your customizations with out-of-the-box BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management functionality. You should replace customizations that are no longer needed (for example, add secondary disk customization) with existing features.|
Partially port your customizations. These include customizations for which partial functionality exists out-of-the-box, or which BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management makes it easier to develop some part of the customization, for example, passing custom parameters for software installation. If you must port your customizations, keep your port minimal..
|Customized SRD in 2.1 for App Parameterization so that you could reuse BladeLogic Server Automation artifacts.|
|Complete port||Identify the changes that are required to port to customization. Then completely port your customizations. These include customizations which are not available out-of-the-box at all and you must carry them forward, for example, creating snapshots.|
Upgrading BMC Network Automation API customizations
If your BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management version 2.1 environment contains customizations that called the BMC Network Automation API, your customizations must be translated to use the new BMC Network Automation API used for BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management version 3.1.
This content has been moved to the BMC Network Automation 8.3 space at Upgrading API customizations to use with BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management.