Test milestone - Testing the release
After a release request is approved at the Test Approval phase, you should test it at the Test milestone, before you can release it. Testers can be business staff, users, or other IT staff. They verify the release; then you can roll it out.
Release request at the Test milestone
For release coordinators, the Test milestone is mostly a manual stage to verify that the service work is successful in a controlled environment. You should use the Release form to update information, revise your plans, add additional change requests and activities, and so on. At most companies, the Test milestone is interchangeable with the Build milestone.
To test the release
- Open the release request at the Test In Progress status.
- Revise the start and end dates as needed.
- Add changes or activities to the release as needed.
- Click Rollup to accumulate the risk level, costs, and time spent from the related change requests (displayed on the Manifest tab).
- Save your changes.
- Use the Process Status Flow area to move the release request from the Test In Progress status to the Deployment Approval phase.
The release must be approved before it can move forward. For more information, see Deployment milestone - Rolling out the release to the business.