Recording the release activities
You might need to modify a release request with work history entries that you add during its life cycle, in order to document activities performed or information gathered. For example, you can track a release request's progress in the work history by recording the steps that you took to implement it.
Use the Work Details tab to add work information about activities performed for the current release request. For example, you can track a release request's progress by recording the steps that you took to implement it in the work history.
The request should still follow the stages in the recommended life cycle of a release request, as described in Milestones in the release request lifecycle. The Process Flow Status bar directs you with messages if there are fields that must be filled in when you move to a new milestone.
You might want to add work information about the following activities:
- General Information — Notes about the record, for example, you might want to add a note that a particular CI was deployed, and include the date.
- Planning — Notes about a plan to implement a global release throughout your organization.
- Implementation — Installation and backout procedures for the release.
- Costing and Charging — Additional information about the cost of the current CI, incident, change, or so on. For example, you might want to add a note that the cost of maintaining a CI was split between two cost centers, or that the cost to implement a release came under budget.
Any user with release related permissions - User, Master, or Viewer can add or modify work info from the Release console or the release request in Modify mode. However, only users with Release Master permissions can add work info to closed Release requests.
- If you are using the Best Practice view, you can view multiple work info entries at the same time by clicking the History icon. When you click this icon, the system displays a pop-up window with the Notes field entries arranged with the most recent entry at the top (a date and time stamp is also visible with each entry).
- If your user ID has Release Viewer permissions, you can add and modify Work Info entries, however, you cannot create or modify release requests.
To add or modify work information to a release request when using the Best Practice view
- Open the release request.
- To add new work information, under the Add Work Info details section on the Work Detail tab, enter the following information:
- Notes — Enter the details of your work information record in this field.
- Attachment — Click to add any attachments related to the work information.
- Click More Details to select the work information type and add any additional attachments.
- From the Work Info Type list, select the type of work information to add.
- In the Attachment fields, add any additional attachments required for the work information. You can add up to three files.
- When you finish updating the release request, under Add Work Info click Save.
The Save operation adds your entry to the work history.
- To view or update the entries in the work information, select the work info record and click View.
Under the Edit Work Info section:
- Update the required fields.
- To delete an attachment, click the delete icon for that attachment.
- Click Save.
- To view a report of selected activities you performed against this request, select the records from the work info table and click Report.
- To view the history of when and by whom each of the work information was added click History.
- Click Save.