BMC Change Management approval state transitions
When a change request moves from status to status, the default workflow on the change request queries the Approval Process Configuration form to find out which approval process to use, and then executes it.
If an approval process has been configured for the company, that approval process is used. Otherwise, the approval process configured for the Global company is used.
For example, when a change request moves from the Draft status into the Review phase, the Approval Server checks the Review approval process (Change Level CI-IA - Review) which is one of the five approval processes enabled by default to work with Change Management. The Approval Server starts the approval process, and then executes the rules in the order of the approvers who are mapped to the approval phase.
Change approval process
The rules contain the qualifications that set up approvers for each phase of that process, and create the approval detail and signature records for the change. If there are no approvers mapped to the Review process, the change request moves to the next phase (Business Approval).
You must set up the approvers by using the Approver Mappings form, as described in Approval mappings. The rules query this form using the appropriate criteria, then identify the appropriate approvers, and then add them to the change request record as the approvers. (You can view the approvers on the Approvers tab of the change request.)
When an approver approves or rejects the change request, the rules execute again and the next status in the Approval Process Configuration form is set. (See Approval states on the Status Flow tab.)
The Approval Server continues based on the Approval Server configuration and process type.
- In the Approval Server configuration, if Approval Success is set to No More Approvers the approval server continues until there are no approvers found for the process.
- In the Approval Server configuration, if Approval Success is set to Completion Rules, the approval server checks for any Completion Rules defined for the approval process. For more information on Completion Rule see, in the Remedy AR System documentation.
- If the process is a level process type, then the Approval Server first sends the change request to the current level approvers. After the request or offering is approved, the Approval Server sends the request to the next level of approvers. On the Approvers tab, only the current level of approvers are displayed even if approvers are specified for several levels.
You can configure additional processes for your company, as needed. For example, you could create a process specifying that change requests require approvals when they reach the Planning in Progress status.
Approval state transitions for change requests moved to an earlier stage
When a change request is moved to a previous stage all the generated signatures are retained. Any signatures for the phases that the change request needs to pass through, will be regenerated and will require to be approved. Approval records in the Approvals section of the change request are displayed based on how the change status is moved to a previous stage.
The change request can move to a previous stage in one of the following ways:
- Approval Process Configuration for a rejection is configured to move the change to an earlier stage
- User clicks the Back option on the accelerator menu
- Change transitions back when the change request is in the Cancelled status, and user clicks the Next stage option.
On the change request, based on the option you select in the Approvers section, the following signatures are displayed:
- All approvers — All existing signatures for the already occurred phases, and any future signatures associated to the change request.
- Future approvers — Only displays pending approvals for the phases that will occur in future.