Configuring email-based approvals
You can approve requests via email. When email-based approvals are enabled, an email notification is sent the individuals who have approval authority for the request. Those people either can approve or reject the request directly from the email notification.
If the approval process requires a password or requires that rejection of a request includes a business justification, you cannot approve or reject the request directly from the email notification. If this is the case, you must approve or reject the request from Approval Central. A link to Approval Central is provided in the email notification.
The following diagram describes the email approval workflow.
Click the image to enlarge it.
When you upgrade from an existing version of BMC Remedy ITSM, all approval-related notification messages are overwritten with new messages. Existing messages are backed up and renamed as message\_custom and the status is set to Offline.
If you had customized any notification messages, rename the new message, and set its status to Disabled. Then, remove the \_custom tag of the customized notification message to continue using it. Ensure that the status of your message is set to Enabled.
If your default notification method before upgrade was set to Alert, you must change the notification mechanism to Email to enable approval emails. For more information on changing the notification method, see Setting notification preferences.
Upgrade information is not applicable for BMC Knowledge Management because earlier versions of the application did not include Approval Notification messages.
Before you begin
Before you configure email-based approvals, ensure that the required mailboxes are configured. For more information about configuring mailboxes, see Configuring BMC Remedy Email Engine in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
In addition to mailbox configuration, the following settings are required for email-based approvals to work:
- From the Applications menu, select AR System Administration > System > Email > Mailbox Configuration. Select the Incoming mailbox record. On the Advanced Configuration tab, ensure that the following options are selected:
- Email Action is set to Parse. The Associated Mailbox Name should be associated with the configured outgoing mailbox for this setting.
- Enable Modify Action is set to Yes.
For more information about advanced mailbox configuration, see Configuring advanced incoming mailbox properties in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
- From the Applications menu, select AR System Administration > System > Email > Mailbox Configuration. Select the Outgoing mailbox record. On the Advanced Configuration tab, ensure that the Delete Outgoing Notification Messages option is set to No.
- Restart the BMC Remedy Email Engine Service if you change any setting.
Email Based Approval functionality has issues when:
- Delete Outgoing Notification Messages is set to YES in email engine configuration settings
- Incoming and outgoing Email IDs defined are different
The following defects have been fixed to correct these issues.
Defect ID Description SW00447474
From the Applications menu, select AR System Administration > System > Email > Mailbox Configuration. Select the Outgoing mailbox record. On the Advanced Configuration tab, when the Delete Outgoing Notification Messages option is set to Yes, and email based approval is enabled, the notification for the approval assignment is not sent.
To fix this issue you must apply the hotfix provided with the Knowledge Base article number 000088913.
When the Incoming and Outgoing Email Message boxes have different email IDs, the system does not receive approval actions sent via email.
To fix this issue you must apply the hotfix provided with Knowledge Base article KA394917.
- From the Applications menu, select Quick Links > Approval Administration Console.
- On the Notification tab, ensure that the Status of the approval process is Active.
- On the Process tab, select the process, and then click View. Ensure that the Require Password field is set to No.
- On the Configuration tab of the Process Definition form, ensure that the Require Justification on Rejection field is set to No.
- From the Applications menu, select Administration Console > Application Administration Console. On the Custom Configuration tab, select Foundation > Notification engine > Approval Email Configuration, and then click Open. On the Configure Email Based Approval window, ensure that Status is set to Enabled.
You must set these preferences to ensure that the Approve/Reject button is available in the approval email.
This section provides configuration information for email-based approvals.
In addition to the information provided in the online documentation, the is a BMC Communities blog posting about email-based approvals.