Selecting change templates
The Change Template function enables you to select any templates for your support group. Use change templates to quickly and efficiently create standard change requests with a minimum of mouse clicks and key strokes. Change templates are useful in any change request that follows well-defined methods for specific and repeated requirements — for example, Installs, Moves, and Add Changes (IMAC). Change templates are most helpful to new and occasional BMC Change Management users.
To select templates
- Create or open a change request.
Perform one of the following actions:
When using the Best Practice view
When using the Classic view
To attach a change template click the template field on the change form.
To attach a change template click Quick Links > Select Template on the left navigation pane.
The change template can be applied in the Draft state, that is, while creating the change request.
On the Change Template Selection dialog box, click View to examine the contents of a change template. The template appears in read-only mode. Viewing a template enables you to see its relationship, its task and task group templates, and other important features.
You cannot create, modify, or delete change templates in the BMC Change Management application; you can only view them. You must use the Application Administration console to create, modify, or delete change templates. Besides change managers, users with Infrastructure Change Master and Change Config permissions can create, modify, and delete change templates. Any member of your support group can modify change templates for that group. For more information, see Creating templates.
- Select a template and click OK.
- The contents of the template are applied to the change request. The change template overwrites any field values that are already present in the change request, including any relationships or tasks included with the change request.
- The value of the Notes field value from template is appended to existing value.
- NULL values in the template will overwrite existing values, except for the following fields:
- Categorization Tier 1
- Change Timing
- Change Type
- Location Company
- Product Cat Tier1
- Risk Level
- Change Environment
- Lead Time
- Change Reason