Release task status transitions
This section describes the statuses that a task goes through during its life cycle. After you begin working on a task you must manually update the status of the task depending on the work done related to that activity. You have the option to define multiple tasks for an activity.
To define the order in which tasks or task groups should be executed you can use sequence numbers. Multiple tasks can have the same sequence number. This sequencing mechanism saves time by eliminating the need to manually define the flow between tasks or task groups.
For more information about defining a sequence for tasks, see Sequence number in task groups and tasks.
If the parent activity is canceled, all related tasks are closed.
Release Task Status Transition
Click the following figure to expand it.
Task status transitions
- When the parent activity is moved to the In Progress status, tasks are activated in the sequence assigned to them. For example, all tasks with sequence number 1 are activated first. When all tasks with this sequence number are Closed, all tasks with the next sequence number are activated simultaneously.
- After the task is activated:
- If assignments are defined for that activity, the task moves to the Assigned state.
- If assignments are not defined, the task moves to the Pending state. After assignments are defined, it moves to the Assigned state.
- When you start working on the task, you need to change the task status to Work in Progress.
- If you require additional information, change the status to Pending. When the required information in provided, update the status to Work in Progress.
- If you choose not to perform a particular task, you can change the status to Bypassed. This can also be done in an automated fashion depending on your needs.
- After the task is completed, change the task status to Closed.
- If multiple tasks are defined for the activity, when you close all tasks with the same sequence number, all tasks with the next sequence number are activated. After all the tasks within an activity are completed, status of the activity is changed to Completed. When all the activities defined for a milestone are completed, the release record can be moved to the next milestone.