Adding work information by using email
You can add work information to an existing record. Depending on how your system is configured, you can add work information to any of the following BMC Remedy ITSM record types:
- Incident request
- Problem investigation
- Known error
- Work order
- Service requests (updates the Activity Log on the Service Request form)
- Change request
This topic describes how to add work information notes to all record types by using email. It also contains the following information:
You can add work information by responding to a system-generated email message about the record, or you can create a new email message.
You can only add work information notes to a record. You cannot update existing work information notes.
You can add an attachment to the email message, which is also added to the work information note. If you add more than one attachment, the email engine creates a zip file of the attachments and attaches it to the work information note.
Before you begin
Check with your system administrator to ensure that your BMC application is configured to work with email-generated records.
To add work information notes to a request by using email
- Perform one of the following actions:
- Reply to an existing email message about the record to which you want to add the work information note.
- Create a new email message.
- If you are creating a new email message, ensure the To field contains the correct email address for your email server.
Ensure that the Subject field starts with RE: and includes the request ID.
NotesIf the subject line does not start with RE:, the Email Rule Engine rejects the message.
In some environments, the Email Rule Engine parses the body of the email message for the request ID. If your system is configured to do this (check with your system administrator), you do not need to put the request ID in the subject line; put it in the body of the message instead. If you are unsure whether your system can read request IDs from the body of an email message, put the request ID in the Subject field.
- Type the work information text in the body of the email message.
- If you have any attachments, add those to the email message.
- Send the email message.
If your email system is configured to send acknowledgments, you receive a confirmation message containing the request ID or the work order ID.