Relation of task statuses to change statuses
Tasks, similar to change requests, go through many status transitions as they progress. The status in which a task is generated depends on the status of the parent change request.
This section is an example of the flow changes, approval, task groups, and tasks follow with the out-of-the-box configuration.
Overview of change and task statuses with approval phases
- A change request starts in the Draft status. Any related task groups or tasks are in Staged status.
- If a change request is cancelled, all the task groups and tasks associated with the change are also cancelled.
If a task group is cancelled, all child tasks of that task group are also cancelled.
- The change request moves into the Request For Authorization status and the approval group or approvers are notified that the change request requires approval for the Review phase.
- After the change is approved it moves into the Request for Change status and the change manager or change coordinator is notified.
- The approval group or approvers are notified that the change request requires approval for the Business Approval phase.
- After approval the change is moves to the Planning in Progress status and all people assigned to the change are notified that the change request is ready for planning.
- The Status Reason field of the tasks gets updated to Staging in Progress and the task implementers are notified that the task group or tasks are set to Staged.
- For taskless changes only the change implementer is notified.
When the status reason of all the tasks is set to Staging Complete, the change moves into the Scheduled for Review status and the change manager or change coordinator is notified that the change request is scheduled for review. If the change rule is configured to bypass the Schedule for Review status, the change moves to the next valid status.
This is not applicable when Task Phase Management is enabled. For state transitions of the change with Task Phase Management enabled, see Change status transitions - Draft to complete with task phase management enabled.
- The approval group or approvers are notified that the change request requires approval for the Implementation Approval phase.
- After approval the change moves into the Scheduled status. For change requests scheduled as change with no impact, all people assigned to the change are notified.
- The status of tasks with the least sequence number is set to Assigned if assignment has been defined. The status of tasks with no assignment is set to Pending with Status Reason Assignment (Pending for Assignment). If the least sequence number is assigned to a task group, the status of the task group is set to Work in Progress, and the status of the first child task is set to Assigned or Pending depending on whether assignment has been defined.
- The task assignee sets the task status to Work in Progress when work begins and then updates the task information and starts implementing the task. When the first task is set to Work In Progress, the change request moves to Implementation In Progress status. The required information is automatically updated in the Actual Start Date field.
- After last child task is set to Closed, the task group is set to Closed. When the last task of the change is set to Closed, the change manager, change coordinator, and change requester are notified that the change request is completed. Workflow enters required information into the Actual End Date field.
- The approval group or approvers are notified that the change request requires approval for the Close Down phase.
- The change manager or change coordinator is notified when the final review is completed.
- If change request is cancelled, the requester is notified.