Relating ad hoc tasks to change requests
You can relate an ad hoc task to the change request. The status of these tasks can be Staged, Assigned, Pending, Work in Progress, or Closed. You can manually set the assignment for any task. Finally, if you close the task, you must select whether you are canceling the task or completing it as a success or failure.
When you relate an ad hoc task to a change request, the following information from the change request get populated in the task.
- Change location
- Requested by
To relate an ad hoc task to a change request
- Open the change request, and then click the Tasks tab.
- In the Request Type field, select Ad hoc, and then click Relate.
The Task form appears with certain fields in the form filled with data from the change request. You can click the Open link next to the Request ID field to open the parent change request.
- Fill in the following required fields:
- Name—Enter a descriptive name of the task.
- Summary—Enter a brief description of the task.
The Type field is set by default to Manual when you create an ad hoc task.
- In the General tab, fill in information about the company.
The Company field defaults to the contents of the Change Location field in the Change form. Your task can be assigned to a different department or company.
On the Requester tab, enter information about the person defining the task (Requester) and the intended target of the task (Requested For).
If you update the Requested For information after creating a task for change request, the information is not updated in the task.
However, any new tasks after the update, include the updated Requested For information.
Some information is filled by default from the Requested By information of the change request.
- In the Categorization tab, fill in information about the product and operational categorizations.
- In the Assignment/Dates tab, fill in the following fields to assign the task:
- Assignee Group—Optionally, select a task implementer group from the list.
Assignee—Optionally, select a task implementer from the list.
The assignment engine automatically assigns the task when the task is generated. You can override this if needed by manually assigned the task.
When a task is assigned to a user, the task is staged but the notification is not sent to the assignee until the task is activated.
For more information about assignment configuration, see Configuring task assignments.
- Scheduled Start Date—Optionally, enter an estimated start date.
- Scheduled End Date—Optionally, enter an estimated end date.
You might want to set the Start Date and End Date to be different from the dates of the parent change request.
- In the Relationships tab, search for and then relate configuration items, LDAP objects, and software library items that are needed with this task.
Additionally, you can execute any quick actions like Update Attributes, Explore CI or get Related Relationships for the task.
- When you finish creating the task, click Save.
- To specify if you want to notify the assignee or not, reopen the task and in the Assignment tab, select the appropriate option from the Notify Assignee field.
You must save and reopen the task to add Work Info details or attachments.