Registering time segments for CIs - Creating a blackout schedule
If BMC Asset Management is installed, use the Maintenance Schedule or Blackout Schedule to create time segments for CIs. This section describes using the Registration for Shared Time Segment window in BMC Change Management, which does not have the same functionality as BMC Asset Management. For more information, see .
You create times when the current CI will be unavailable or available. This is known as a blackout schedule.
- During times when the current CI is unavailable, a CI must not be brought down. The server used by payroll might have a blackout schedule to indicate that the CI is not available for other tasks (for example, upgrades or routine maintenance) when paychecks are processed.
- During times when the current CI is available, you can schedule the CI for upgrade, maintenance, change requests, or release requests. This is a scheduled outage. Other users can share this time segment and conduct multiple requests.
When creating the blackout schedule, you can also specify the levels of availability. For example, you decide that a specific application service CI must be unavailable to Calbro Services IT during the core hours Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. PST. You can then schedule routine change requests during the specified Saturday 8:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. maintenance window. More urgent change requests can be scheduled outside the core hours.
As a result, you can set up the following blackout schedule for the application service CI:
- Core hours Monday to Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. PST, the CI is listed as unavailable at Level 15.
- Everything except Saturday 8 P.M. to 10 P.M. is listed as available at Level 20.
- Everything except the core hours is listed as available at Level 25.
For more information about time segments for CIs, see the following topics: